I am starting a new SW setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use reef crystals and love it. I switched over from IO. There are many opinions on salt mixes, sometimes you just have to find what you like.

OK...Set up the tank, filled it, all parameters look good:

SG = 1.023
PH = 8.2
Alk = 3.5 mEq/L
Ca = 380 (bit low)
Temp = 80-81 deg

I put in the raw shrimp, got some good ammonia readings within 2 days. Cycled it, now just added the LR. Already found some feather dusters poking out, and a couple if teeny tiny crabs (I think) in what looks like blue shells (kinda like a snail shell)

Got 15 lbs of Fiji, nad a nice 8 lb chunk of something that cost twice as muck as the fiji, but had 10 times the growth and stuff on and in it.

Sounds good, what are your ammonia/nitrItes/nitrAtes reading?

Just a quick question. I saw a "pipefish" at LFS today.

My stocking plan is:
1 maroon clown
1 fire angel
2 blood (fire) shrimp
some snails & hermit crabs
2 blennys

Eventually... some kenya tree and bubble coral and a bubble tipped anenome.

Would a pipefish be compatable with this population?

The blennys will probably harass it as well as the clown (if it already has an established territory) and should not be housed with stinging corals or inverts...such as anemones...

OK..just a thought...Liked how it looked, but wont buy it. Thanks for the info

Oh and one other thing....I took my water to LFS so they could verify my test results...Pretty much the same readings

Except one..

My refractometer came up with 1.023

their swing arm hydrometer came up with 1.020

Is it normal for their to b e that much of a difference...or might my refratometer be wrong (yes I did calibrate it with distilled water, at room temp and let my sample get to room temp as well)

usmcmarc said:
Oh and one other thing....I took my water to LFS so they could verify my test results...Pretty much the same readings

Except one..

My refractometer came up with 1.023

their swing arm hydrometer came up with 1.020

8O

I'd be concerned about a LFS that used a swing arm hydrometer to test salinity.

Yes... there can be that much difference. Most likely, your refractometer is correct.

Back
Top Bottom