I don't know why I have 0's...tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K will do. It will likely be after Xmas, but I'll get some ammonia.

I will look into those brands. Thanks man!

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 to getting new test kit... When I first started saltwater I used API it would read my nitrates at insane levels... Had my LFS test it an he told me it was crystal clear.

K. I'll get a whole new kit. Now I'll just need to figure out how to get rid of my algae and I'll be all set.

K. I'll get a whole new kit. Now I'll just need to figure out how to get rid of my algae and I'll be all set.

Reduce the nutrients you put in the tank and balance out the nutrient input / output ratio.

A little GFO works great to keep phosphates in check.

Geez those brands of kits are expensive.

I think about it this way;
They maybe twice as much, but you have 3x more tests.
The health of the system depends on the chemicals we can test for and keep balanced.

I know. Ok so I need ammonia, nitrite and nitrates, alkalinity, PH, and a refractometer. Anything else?

Oh and my protein skimmer broke tonight. FML.

I know. Ok so I need ammonia, nitrite and nitrates, alkalinity, PH, and a refractometer. Anything else?

Oh and my protein skimmer broke tonight. FML.

Its ok. Slow down a bit and let the tank do its thing. Its young and starting to mature.

Test I recommend at this point:
Nitrate, & phosphate
(alk, calc, mag- you can buy a master kit like red sea, but don't need to waste them yet until you have a diverse coral collection).

API is fine for ammonia & nitrite.

-then only need to worry about alk, (KH), as that is the "indicator" if you will as if somethings off).
Again - When you have a more mature system.

Don't bother with PH. Its unnecessary stress.

Refractometer or another conductivity / salinity device is highly recommended over the floaty hydrometer.

***Water changes (w/RO/DI & decent salt mix), are your best friend.
They will replenish all the chemicals needed in a young, sparse system.

I have a refractometer on the way in the mail, and will be hitting a LFS tommorow to see about different test kits.

Is this good news though? The green diatom/algae that is hitting my tank is developing white spots on it, of bare rock....

img_3125968_0_f2fc37e377ba20916c24cff7660f0c9b.jpg

img_3125968_1_c864883b818ceafc38f2d32ae0de0476.jpg

Also, the green algae, the bright green stuff is really hard to get off the glass. It reminds me of coraline almost.

Well, that gross mess is telling you there are nitrates in the water. Fresh out of your cycle right? It would make sense. Just turn your lights off. Do a big water change and scrub the rocks in the water you changed out.

How come the nitrate test gives me zeroes? And yeah I think the cycle is done. Tank has been up for a couple months. I'll try and scrub what I can. Most of my rock is semi permanently attached.

I think I'll hve to scrub with the rocks in, and change out the water right away.

What causes the phosphates and nitrates to spike at the end of a cycle?

The nitrate cycle itself. The process of converting ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates. As things decompose they mainly turn into nitrates, but also phosphates on a much smaller level...think 10%.

Well that's good news lol. After I clean up the algae and do my water change, how long till I can safely add some snails and perhaps some hermits and a fish?

You probably could add now. The cycle is done and it takes really high nitrates to be deadly to fish. Just make sure you drip acclimate everything and add SLOWLY.

Back
Top Bottom