I just setup new tank tell me what i need to improve plz!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 58 gallon saltwater, i have a 20 gallon sump with a CPR overflow 300gph. Im running a rio 2100 for a return pump. i have 3 sections inside the sump, #1 is the hose from overflow bioballs and air pump to give the bioballs air, a guy at the pet store told me that instead of changing my whole sump to have the water trickle on the bioballs that air pump would do the same?? is that true? it then drains into compartment #2 this is where my skimmer is located, after skimming it filters into the same section #2. after skimming it filters through a sponge into section #3 the return pump then blows it back into my tank. I have 50lbs of live rock and used all RO water, i have about 2in of live sand on the bottom of the tank. My biggest concern is the filtering of the sump and how i should set it up differently, plz let me know what i can do to improve!

I dont feel you need that airpump.

I would double the depth of your sand bed. You dont need to use live sand the second time around as any sand will quicklyi become live from your existing sand. Add the new sand slowly to build it up.

Add a few more lbs of LR and then you can slowly start to dump those bioballs. Your live rock and sand will have 10X the filtering capacity of those bioballs.

On a side note look at that RIO pump very carefully as the 2100 has a bad trackrecord for breaking impeller shafts or simply not starting back up after its been powered down.

Back
Top Bottom