I need Advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerry Adams

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:?:
I am getting ready to set up a new tank (the wife saw Finding Nemo), and I could use some help. This is what I have for equipment.

55 gallon tank (Perfecto JetStream)
4 x 96 watt PC lighting (no bulbs yet, any suggestions?)
marineland Tidepool filter
Amiracle Tornado skimmer
Supreme Magdrive 7 pump
test kits and other misc. supplies.

Am I better off taking the biowheel out of the filter and just using it as a sump? Maybe put some live rock or sand where the biowheel goes?
Any help would be great, I have not done SW / reef in about 10 years. Things have changed alot since then.
Thanks
Jerry Adams

Jerry wait! dont make the same mistakes I did ....do lots of research first and save yourself money.

The 4X96 watts pc is a great idea, if you do research then you will understand the "live rock" method with a DSB (deep sand bed, South Down is best and cheapest) keep asking questions before you buy.

I think you will find that the Tide Pool will not be needed (Im pretty sure they are very expensive also) Youll also want to circulate the water about 10-15X the tank volume.

Go Patriots! :)

I am not real familar with that equipment but normally you just put the LR and LS in the tank. With just FO, you could probably leave the biowheel in. They tend to be Nitrate beds if left in long enough and will not be good for corals and inverts. I am assuming that this tidepool skimmer is the wet/dry version and not the HOB. The Mag7 is a great pump and would be good for a return pump and good for that size of tank. You might also add a couple of maxijet 900 or 1200's for inside the tank.

Your lighting looks good, just get 2 daylight bulbs and 2 actnic anf you should be fine. Not real familar with brands though.

HTH

As ellisz said, 2 10000k and 2 actinic 03 (not the 7100k blue) for bulbs would work great. Stick with good brand bulbs...CSL, Hamilton, ect...
I would probably return the Tidepool if I could. It really isn't the best setup IMO. I would either get an acrylic sump or DIY a sump...there's plans and ideas on this site on doing that. It's not real hard to do. If you are stuck with the Tidepool, I'd remove the biowheel and just use it as a sump...don't put LR and sand in it. Just use it to house your skimmer/heater/pump. If you don't already have a heater, look at the Won Pro Heat and Pro Heat II's. They are excellent. IMO, the pump you have is a bit small, but you can use it for now anyway. You'll need a couple of powerheads in the tank to provide more flow...Maxi Jet 1200's are what I'd recommend. I would put in about 4" of sugar sized aragonite sand and top it off with some good live sand...not the bagged stuff from the LFS. If you know someone who has an established reef tank, get them to give you a cup of their sand...it'll be full of critters. You'll want 80-110 lbs of live rock as well. You can use the LR to cycle the tank if you want. Check with Zack at liverock.com (in the sponsor forum) for a good deal on LR. You might want to read the articles on this site pertaining to SW tanks (link at top of page) and pick up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. This is an excellent book that will get you pretty well up to date on reefkeeping. HTH.

The tidepool if you already have it you can leave the biowheel in there for now as it will help speed up the cycle process. Love the light selection. I would suggest a pair of 10K bulbs and a pair of actinic bulbs.

I think you might be a little depressed with the skimmer. if you already have it then thats fine but if you have yet to pick it up you might want to look at maybe the aquac remora skimmer. its probably a little more $ but its IMO more effective.

If/when you take the biowheel out you can add some live rock rubble in the sump for enhanced filtration. I would not put sand in the tidepool area just because I think the sand would get stired up to much and would damage the impeller shaft of the pump.

Since its been 10 years a good book would also be something that can help. Books are great as they will often have photos and diagrams of what they are talking about and provide you a handy refernce.

I really like The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner

Back
Top Bottom