I need help asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I just bought a biocube 29g and I found a killer deal on CL for live sand, rock and fish. The lady wants me to go pick everything up tonight!! If I bring enough water from her tank use her sand and rock will the fish be ok being added immediately?

You might get a small cycle. I did about the same method for my tank (but with dead sand) and it had a mini cycle that lasted about 8 days with an ammonia spike of 2.5. The fish and corals that I had did fine for that time.

Your media and filters will have to build their beneficial bacteria up, but I say go for it.

Petrichor said:
You might get a small cycle. I did about the same method for my tank (but with dead sand) and it had a mini cycle that lasted about 8 days with an ammonia spike of 2.5. The fish and corals that I had did fine for that time.

Your media and filters will have to build their beneficial bacteria up, but I say go for it.

He may not have a spike at all. You said you used dead sand? Was it live at one point, or just never used? If it was live at one point, and got removed from the tank, it would have a lot of die off. If then you used this sand without rinsing it very well, all that die off will cause the spike. If the OP keeps the sand under some water, and transfers everything he should be ok, just try not to stir the water up a lot. But IMO he will be good...

I did the same thing but with new water, new sand, 60 pounds of LR from thier tank, about 5 pounds of their sand and some filter media from a friends tank. I hardly had a cycle at all.

I also added "smart start" it's like bio spira. Seemed to work well.

Ok so the lady is giving me 50lbs of live sand 50lbs of rock. Pair of clowns, 2 gobies, starfish, CUC. UV sterilizer, power heads. Food. Chemicals. For 100$ man what a deal!

Sharkbait54 said:
Ok so the lady is giving me 50lbs of live sand 50lbs of rock. Pair of clowns, 2 gobies, starfish, CUC. UV sterilizer, power heads. Food. Chemicals. For 100$ man what a deal!

I would just try to move the tank with the sand and some water still in it, put the rock in a bucket with water... When you get home, put the rock in, and fill er up. Let the filter run for a couple hours should be good to put the fish in...

Benamayer said:
I would just try to move the tank with the sand and some water still in it, put the rock in a bucket with water... When you get home, put the rock in, and fill er up. Let the filter run for a couple hours should be good to put the fish in...

Thanks will do!

Wait your getting the tank from her too or just the stuff? Might be worth it to do 50% old water 50% new... Most of the bacteria you need is not in the water. I wouldn't recommend moving a tank with much weight in it. The stress may cause it to leak.

If you can try to get some of her filter media to put in your filter.

Also try to keep everything submerged in buckets or ice chests while moving it.

P.s. that's a awesome deal! Congrats.

h8z2luze said:
Wait your getting the tank from her too or just the stuff? Might be worth it to do 50% old water 50% new... Most of the bacteria you need is not in the water. I wouldn't recommend moving a tank with much weight in it. The stress may cause it to leak.

Also try to keep everything submerged in buckets or ice chests while moving it.

It's just the SW stuff she is keeping the tank and converting to FW. I just got my biocube so I don't have salt water. Tommorow morning I'll go pick some up and do a 5g water change how's that sound? What should I do with the excess sand and rock?

How long has the tank been running? Should be able to fit all the rock in your tank. 1-2 pounds of LR per gallon is a great ratio. Also I'd do a 3-4" sandbed

h8z2luze said:
How long has the tank been running? Should be able to fit all the rock in your tank. 1-2 pounds of LR per gallon is a great ratio. Also I'd do a 3-4" sandbed

Over a year she said.

Oh great I'll use all the rock it's better anyways right? I might as well use as much Sand as I can. How much is too much?

Sharkbait54 said:
Over a year she said.

Oh great I'll use all the rock it's better anyways right? I might as well use as much Sand as I can. How much is too much?

Imo i wouldn even touch the sand disturbing an established sandbed is bad news it will release all nutrients back into water id put the rock in buckets of her water only to keep it wet but when you set it back up id use all new water the rock will contain the bb you need might have a small cycle thats about it

Ya I agree. I wouldn't use the old
Sand. Maybe a couple handfuls to seed your tank. Also all new water.

danbstrong said:
Imo i wouldn even touch the sand disturbing an established sandbed is bad news it will release all nutrients back into water id put the rock in buckets of her water only to keep it wet but when you set it back up id use all new water the rock will contain the bb you need might have a small cycle thats about it

Wouldn't it be the same as like upgrading tanks do I really need to replace the sand?

Turn everything on. It's fine. I'd use new sand. The old sand has a lot of bad stuff in it like nitrates and stirring it up could end up bad. Also over time it loses it's ability to hold in nutrients and bacteria. It's a much better idea to start with new sand.

Ok so I didn't get enough water to fill the tank do I can I add some new water? Just match the salinity correct?

Or should I use straight RO water cause salinity is a little high

Back
Top Bottom