I Need Help !!!!! Begginer here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TropicalDude23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My new 40 gallon tank has been set up, partially. The salinity is at 1.025 I have live sand set up on the bottom (black and white) . A heater, and not quite sure of the rest of the stuff but my buddy that is a manager at petland set it up for me. I was wondering how much live rock should I add, and what fish would be great for a nice reef tank! I have 2 clownfish, a puffer, and a golbi in mind. Also I need help w lights! I have no idea about them :/ All help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

image-2182538457.jpg

You need rock! And plenty of it! If you are aiming for a reef go for 40-60 pounds and do it now so you can start your cycle. Your stock list looks good but puffers are not reef safe (on paper) Looking good tho :)

Is there any filtration? Powerheads? I can't see any gear in there, even a heater? Lighting check out the taotronics dimmable LEDs on eBay :)

it's all hidden here ill show you . and. I have a mini sump. And I'm getting 25lbs of live rock on Monday :) then some hermits and like 2 snails before. I add any fish ! and I need like a 36" light :/ so look those up on eBay?

You need to cycle the tank before you put anything in it, after you add the rock drop a raw shrimp in there and let it rot (put it in pantyhose so its easy to get out) buy a saltwater test kit and test for amm, nitrite and nitrates. Make sure your Ph is in order. The cycle can take around 4 weeks (depending on live or base rock) the. You are ready for livestock!

Yes, but how did you cycle the tank? Your beneficial bacteria needs to reside in your rocks usually (it can live in the sand too, which is what you would have) after you add live rocks you will have a cycle of sorts so keep testing for a couple of weeks after that before adding fish. You will still need flow if your going to go reef, a couple of powerheads will do the job.

Gorgeous!!!!!!! Also what should I do for lighting? I really wasn't trying to spend 200$ on lights :/

If you are Aiming for a reef then be prepared to spend a bit o cash on lights. Don't do what I did, buy cheap lights, upgrade them, then realise 4 months later I should have gone LED and upgraded again : / those taotronics are the way to go, can't remember how much they are...

They were 199 on eBay with 15$ shipping! The only thing is do you just put them on the too of your tank or. ? cuz you've seen the top of mine

image-215597285.jpg

They are hung usually I think, I dont actually have those ones (I live in Australia and we can't get those ones here) most aquarium lights can either be hung or come with mounts to sit on top of the tank. I would get these ones if I were you, the cheaper option is t5 (probably 4 for your tank) that's what I used to have but I had a problem with heat and also you need to change the bulbs every 8 months which over time (even one year later) you could have bought the LEDs and not had problems with heat or replacement bulbs and better for your electricity bill too ;)

Australia ay? I've always wanted to go there! I live in NY and don't have much ocean where I'm from, so I have to tank it up to fulfill my love for fish and the oceans ! But I will get those lights , but is it something I need like soon or can I hold off

You will need some kind of light when you introduce fish (so they can see food) but this light can wait until you get corals... I have always wanted to go to NY so there you go!

I mean I have natural light in my room will that work for feeding and also it will be like 4-5 months before coral and anemones are added anyways correct?

Good to wait for corals and particularly anemones so you can get the hang of things, water changes, maintenance. Anemones particularly need stable water conditions so most recommend waiting 6months to a year. It's a good idea to test regularly and keep a record of it so you can see how your tank stables out. Once you are seeing consistent results you will be ready. After the cycle record tests for temp, salinity, amm, nitrite and nitrates. Try and keep regular routines for feeding and PWC and if it has not been mentioned already use ro-di water so you don't have any problems down the track with phosphates and algae. When you start introducing corals there a few other things to test for too... Always ask questions here, it is so helpful!

Wow thanks for all the Info! You'll be my new best friend when it comes to Tanks ! So much to learn!

Back
Top Bottom