I orded my equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaboke

Aquarium Advice Regular
this schould be a start for a 20g

bak-pak 2r+ protein skimmer
Maxi-jet powerhead/pump 900(230gph) x2
24"w/2-65w/+lunarlight
gone pick up test kit ,hygrometer and argonite sand and order the LR at aqurialive .com as soon as my equipment arrives
All the rest I have laying arround

Kaboke

I'm gone use fishless cycling but when I cycle with uncured LR (I would buy 30 lb ) do I still need to ad a raw shrimp I'm not in hurry with this project I'm taking it step by step (I'm already running a freshwater tank ) so I can wait for some live in the tank
I just want to do it the wright way

Thanks so far Kaboke

The only thing I would change is a refractometer instead of the hydrometer. They are much more reliable.
(y) (y) (y)
I agree. for about $50 you can get a decent refracto that is worth its weight in gold. They are wonderful and much more accurate then the swing-arm hydrometers. If you do go with one of the swing-arms, make sure you get it calibrated against a refracto at the LFS. This will let you know how much it is off. Otherwise, looks like a great list to start off.

Here is alink to a refractometer...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

For a 20 gallon tank I would just cycle with with the LR. If anything add a few flakes of food. That and the uncured LR should be OK.

Looks good and ditto on the refractometer, my floating hydrometer was reading at 1.023 sg and refractometer had it at 1.028 sg :eek: Never trusted anything else since.

I agree, my readings were off by the same amount.

As long as you see a decent ammonia spike, ~2 ppm, there is no need for a shrimp. Online orders are out of water for 12-20 hours, and that will cause good enough die-off generally to see a decent ammo spike.
the LR at aqurialive .com
liveaquaria.com I assume. If so, good choice. Make sure ammonia doesn't go above 3 ppm to keep as much life on the LR alive, as possible. PWC's can be used to keep ammo down. It may prolong the cycle time, but in the end is worth it. HTH and good luck

MT79 said:
Make sure ammonia doesn't go above 3 ppm to keep as much life on the LR alive, as possible. PWC's can be used to keep ammo down. It may prolong the cycle time, but in the end is worth it. HTH and good luck
I also agree with this although it can prolong cycle time as much as 2-3 weeks which considering the cost of LR is well worth keeping as much "alive" as possible.

Another alternative to doing pwc is to use SeaChem Purigen to absorb some of the nh3 to keep it below 3 ppm. Last 20 lbs of LR I curred (in a separate 30 gal container) I ran a HOB canister with two 100 mL bags of Purigen and even with the die-off the nh3 never got above 1 ppm.

I orded an refractometer... today I also went to my lfs and saw a 26 g bowfront I think my equipment would still be enough for that or not it would be a litle bigger qua stocking choice

bak-pak 2r+ protein skimmer
Maxi-jet powerhead/pump 900(230gph) x2
24"w/2-65w/+lunarlight

then I can still use the 20g as a quarantine tank when neccescary
Is that good thinking ? I aprecied your opinions

Kaboke

Equipment is fine for a 26 gal also and having a QT is a good idea even if you don't go for the 26 gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom