I think I found it!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well, I was asking you all about new vrs. used for my first S/W.

Check out this deal I found and let me know what you all think. He is a knowledgable reef keeper. The tank is 40 gal. very unique shape. All this for $750!!! All equip. works. He says he will hold it until the 2nd week of August for me. Any comments on the setup?

http://community.webshots.com/user/tony91lx click on reef tank guestbook

Thanks

Edit: The only thing that concerns me is the pic. of the tang. Shouldn't they have larger tanks. If I buy it, I will find him a bigger home.

I would agree it's a bit expensive. And niether of those tangs belong in a tank that small. I saw a sailfin and a regal (pg2 tank15 in case you missed the regal).

Does the sale include the live rock and livestock? If so, how much live rock.

If its equipment only, then yeah, it is a little expensive, but if you are factoring 50-80# of live rock, then there may be some room for negotiation. Check out how much LR is in your local area. In california it can be anywhere from $4-$7 per pound.

HTH

John

A sailfin and regal in a 40gal is anything but knowlegable

Not only unknowlegable, but that sailfin looks huge! A small sailfin would be tight in a 40, but dang! He looks os cramped. And the Regal does not look small either!

Ok all, dont beat me up LOL. I have no knowledge of S/W fish yet. I am going to come to you all about stocking once I get it setup. I have focused more on startup, concepts, equip., and maint. I questioned him about the tang and he said that is now in a 100 gal. and thats why the tank is for sale. The Regal also. It includes everything pictured except the fish. I am glad you all chimed in however because I thought it was a great deal so now I am excited to see what I can get for $750! Also LR where I live is about $9 a lb. Thanks for the help, I may just go all new after all.

We aren't beating you up. Just don't want to see you robbed either. It may have some to do with location but in my area, you can get a much better deals. Maybe that is reasonable for Massachusetts. You'd have to get a list of everything, set down and figure out the costs new and see how it compares. If the equipment is in great working condition, not alot of wear and tear then maybe 70% of the price new would be reasonable. If it's got a few years on it, I'd expect to pay 50-60% but again, it's all relative to your area. That just seems like an aweful lot for a 40g tank. Maybe if it has 80lbs of liverock and all high end equipment, etc.... Keep in mind too that nothing is guaranteed. Once you get it home if things start falling apart, it comes with no warranty. I have a feeling the price is so high due to it being an odd shaped tank. For me that definitely wouldn't be a selling point. I'm a bit paranoid having been burnt myself on a used sw tank purchase. There are some great deals to be had but you need to be careful.

No No FLuff don't take me wrong, I highly appreciate all the help. I am so glad everyone was honest. I guess I just expected this to be so much more expensive than my F/W so I was thinking $750 for everything was great. I liked the unique shape of the tank, however it also concerns me a little as far as more points for leaks etc. I am going to pass and move on. He didn't tell me that the fish were moved, until I questioned about the tang. I knew that tangs needed at least 75 or more because I looked into one I liked. Anyway, I will post if I find anymore deals I like and hopefully you all will comment again. Thanks Again

ive bought 2 fully stocked tanks. the 55 was $350 with fish ,coral,and 100# of liverock.

the other was a 30 gallon with nicer coral, 70# of rock and 400 watt pc lighting, plus fish.
$500
its hard to find deals in atlanta also, so you should be in a good spot i would think.

Back
Top Bottom