I think the tank is ready. But diatomes showed up today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well i guess i have a few more questions. Heres my water test results for today. Gravity 30 ppt---temp 80---p.h. 8.0---- ammonia 0 ppm---no2, 0 ppm--- no3, around 10ppm--

I started this tank on 8-13-03.

Do you think its finally safe to ad a fish and clean up crew?

If so what should i use for a clean up crew?

Diatoms showed up today. Should i cut back on lights? I run them 11 hours per day know. 8) Thanks for the help everyone.

(40 gallon octagon)(40 pounds live rock) Skimmer,maxi jet power head, Magnum 350 canister filter. Thanks Duane Johnson-- Austin mn

Well i guess i have a few more questions. Heres my water test results for today. Gravity 30 ppm---temp 80---p.h. 8.0---- ammonia 0 ppm---no2, 0 ppm--- no3, around 10ppm--

The levels look OK, just a clarification...salinity is measured in ppt, specific gravity is measured in a number that would look like 1.023.

Do you think its finally safe to ad a fish and clean up crew?

I would raise the salinity to 35ppt (1.025 SG) @ 80*F, the mobile inverts that make up your clean up crew will not tolerate a low salinity too well. When you do get them make sure you do a slow drip acclimation, mobile inverts are very sensitive to changes in salinity, temp and ph.

If so what should i use for a clean up crew?

I would start with an assortment of snails, ceriths, trochus, nerites, nassarius.

Diatoms showed up today. Should i cut back on lights? I run them 11 hours per day know. 8)

They are a natural part of the cycle, they will eventually use up the silicate in the water and crash to a manageable level. The snails will help in the meantime.

I would start with an assortment of snails, ceriths, trochus, nerites, nassarius.

Thanks For the reply Reefrunner,Ok i know what snails are ,This may seen like a stupid question but what are ceriths, trochus, nerites, nassarius. Im trying to look them up in my book. Thanks Duane

Should i ad a fish?

Should i ad a fish or stick with the cleanup crew for know???? Thanks Duane

Start with the clean up crew first. For reference only, you can check >>here<< for an ID on the snails mentioned by RR.

Now would also be the time to get the >>QT<< up and running for the first fish addition. Once it has goes through the QT process, the display tank and fish should be ready.

Cheers
Steve

Snails

Do snails need a calcium supplement? Is 1 snail for every two gallons of water correct? Thanks Duane

Do snails need a calcium supplement?

Yes and no. Snails will require calcium to build their shells, but they are a very small demand on the system, so if that is the only calcium consumer you have, the demand should easily be taken care of by regular water changes.

Is 1 snail for every two gallons of water correct? Thanks Duane

I think that is a little steep to start out with, I would start with 1 per 4 gallons or 5 gallons and if they aren't keeping up, then add more.

I would raise the salinity to 35ppt (1.025 SG) @ 80*F, the mobile inverts that make up your clean up crew will not tolerate a low salinity too well. When you do get them make sure you do a slow drip acclimation, mobile inverts are very sensitive to changes in salinity, temp and ph

what is a slow drip acclimation and when, where, and how do you use it?

Hermit crabs

Are hermit crabs good to ad to a clean up crew?
Are queen conch snails good to? thanks Duane

Back
Top Bottom