I want to know if its mandatory to have a QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superboy114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I want to know if its mandatory to have a QT, in order to have a Safe reef tank. and if its necesary to put always new fish on it, before adding to my big tank.

unless you're fine with possibly releasing disease into your huge tank and kiling everything... sure!

i only don't QT mine because i always get them from the same place, a place i trust, and everything in my tank is from them, but if i were ever to get a larger tank i'd qt without question.

it's a safety blanket so you don't lose all your investments, and wonderful pets! and its not like its expensive, a smaller tank with some simple filtration. unless your one of those people who treats even if they see nothing wrong, it's all just observation for about 2 weeks, and to make sure they eat.

and remember, nothing good in saltwater happens fast.

How can you guarrantee or make sure the fish you buy are safe????

How can you guarrantee or make sure the fish you buy are safe????

my fish personally? i've dealt with my LFS for a long time and i trust them and the fish they sell, i observe the fish i buy before buying, usually for about 3 weeks, if i see one i like/want i'll keep an eye on it, if they sell it then oh well, my loss. but besides a new clown (which won't be for a VERY long time) i'm not getting any new fish anyway

I'm Thinking about using my old 14 gallon for quarantine porpuses, but how is this done??? should but all my new fish on the QT befor putting into the big tank always???? will this cause stress to the new fish????? what kind of water should i use????

Back
Top Bottom