I wanted to kinda dip in SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
clown fish w/ fish tank and light,filter, and pump

I hate you guys. I wanted to kinda dip in SW and of course found the above link. I still say i like FW beter but that dosent mean i cant enjoy sw too. :turn-l:

The only question i have is a good place ot buy a powerhead and i dont know what salt to mix with. Preferably something i can get at petco. Eventually i will get a good light to start doing corals.

ET, I think you should go a little bigger then a 10 g. It will cost about the same and be allot easier on you.

Not sure what is in your area as far as a local fish shop but the bigger chain stores like Petco and Petsmart have good deals on filters and powerheads, they also have sales on salt mix from time to time. A ten gallon is ok but I agree with thincat going with a little bigger tank, with a bigger tank is easier to stabilize the water parameters.

Is this your first experience with salt water?

ET, I think you should go a little bigger then a 10 g. It will cost about the same and be allot easier on you.

Think so? I will see what i can fit in my room atm and see how big i can go.

Not sure what is in your area as far as a local fish shop but the bigger chain stores like Petco and Petsmart have good deals on filters and powerheads, they also have sales on salt mix from time to time. A ten gallon is ok but I agree with thincat going with a little bigger tank, with a bigger tank is easier to stabilize the water parameters.

Is this your first experience with salt water?

Ya, i have cared for SW tanks before but this would be the first time owning 1. I am experienced with alot of the more difficult species in FW, especially the oddballs, and even breeding some of them. I have a couple of really good lfs here.

Well the LR is a good deal...

You might want to start by reading this...

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank

Ya, i have read it before and i will read it again. I thought maybe this was a good deal but now that i think about it since it is just a ordinary 10g maybe its not.

Any tips for just starting guys and what size tank to go with?

Bob Fenner says to start with at lease a 40g, But allot of people are having good luck with tanks as small as 29g for their first tank. Just don't get a tall tank as the area of surface is important for gas exchange.

Bob Fenner says to start with at lease a 40g, But allot of people are having good luck with tanks as small as 29g for their first tank. Just don't get a tall tank as the area of surface is important for gas exchange.

Ok, well from what i am looking at it will have to be something like a 20g tall or maybe a 29g. So i need to get some things sorted out for my reps then i will see were i am gonna put it.

MOVE into larger quarters and start with a 55.
If you can'd do that then go for the largest tank that will fit.

Back
Top Bottom