Ich in my QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyswife

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had 2 fish (a royal gramma and a clown) die in my QT last week. It's a 10 gal with a HOB filter, I seeded the foam block with my DT for over 4 months. I don't have any tank lights, just a glass cover. The RG wasn't eating so I figured he was sick when I got him. I had two clownfish in the tank and they weren't getting along so I thought one killed the other. The lone clownfish was eating and looking happy so I put him in my DT since he had been in QT for 3 weeks. As soon as I put him in I realized he was covered in ich. I never saw it with the lights that were in the room or when I looked at them with a flashlight. I pulled him out of the DT as soon as I could and put him back in QT. He has now died.:(

Is my DT tank in trouble? I have 1 pajama cardinal and a bunch of inverts so I don't think he's going to be stressed in any way. He's been the only fish for several years.

What do I do with my QT as far as cleaning it out and starting over with new fish? Can I still use the foam block or toss it? Can I use my DT to seed another foam even though it might have ich in it?

I'm so upset because I thought I was doing everything right by setting up a QT only to have everything die and may have infected the DT
icon8.gif
Lesson learned, don't skimp on lighting even for a QT.

Jill

Fixing the DT is easy since you only have one fish. I would take water from your DT and move it over to your QT tank with that one fish. With no fish in the DT tank for 4 weeks, you will kill any ICH in the main tank. Just be sure to do bi-weekly water changes in the QT tank to keep your fish happy.

Back
Top Bottom