I'd like to start a copepod breeding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheyCallMeButch

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank produces a large quantity of Copepods but I'd like to consider starting a small tank that would be used specifically for breeding Copepods in case the other tank happens to start running low. (Already have a small breeding ground in my refegium)

So I'm just hoping to get some suggestions if anyone has one of these. I don't have a spare tank yet but getting one wouldn't be hard at all. I have a Nuvo tank so a lot of the things I'd need if I were to get something else would be new to me. But I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you all as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So as an update, I bought a 5 gallon tank with some live rock and algae and a small AquaClear pump for movement and have my Nuvo refugium light on it for the time being, like I said this is just a amphipods and copepod tank.

In my main tank I'm going to try hanging small bags of the algae and switch out the algae with what's in my refugium and copepod tank over time. It's not the prettiest but I think it'll do the job for the time being until I can make proper baskets to go in the tank.

This sounds interesting. I am wondering what the magic trick is to keeping and growing LOTS of them?! Will be following along to see what good advice pops up here. I have a 5G and have a good population of Amphipods mostly and just a few tiny little things growing. I only have Camelback Shrimp, MacroAlgae, a couple hermits and snails in that little tank with a bubbler and do smallish weekly pwc.

I'll also keep you updated with my findings and with my overall setup once I find something suitable.

this set-up has been working great for me.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/my-custom-integrated-fuge-nano-display-336249.html
I always have pods going into the main display and whenever the have a population explosion the fish go nuts.
I initially seeded it with about 5-6 thousand pods/amphipods from different sources and they seem to have worked out a ecosystem where all the different types, about 6-7 at last count, have their own little niche.

Very nice PB_Smith! I might have to look into that.

I'll have a picture of my setup within the next day or two. All that's currently left that I will need is perhaps a better light and the copepods themselves. I've already noticed a small amount on the algae I had taken out of my refugium and added to the tank and I'll get some bottle of the copepods later this week to add to it.

So far to transfer them to the main tank I'm switching out bags that I've put algae into and sliding them into the corner of the tank and leaving them there for a little while and then just switching them back to the copepod tank.

So my setup currently is a small 5 gallon tank with live sand and rock and a fair amount of Chaeto algae. I've got a small Aqua Clear 20 power filter for some water movement and a 4 watt Skkye Light on top for some light. I do see some Amphipods and Copepods but I won't do any transferring to the main tank until there is a substantial amount. And to transfer them, I have taken small fabric and plastic bags that you'd get with a Biomax filter insert and have stuffed some Chaeto in them in hopes that they will populate those as well and I will just continuously switch out the bags as time goes on.

I've also decided to start hatching some Brine Shrimp separately so we will see how that pans out.

(Tank water isn't actually green as it appears)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437200912.650346.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437200938.564980.jpg

Very nice PB_Smith! I might have to look into that.

thanks
for the last few days I have been enjoying a population explosion of the tisbe pods (those really tiny white ones) in my system.
Every morning when the light comes on it looks like a little snowstorm with all the little buggers swimming around and they are crawling all over everything. :)

So for one a lot of it is just adding more Copepoda as time goes on until your population is big enough to sustain itself. I dose mine with roughly a mL of Phyto Feast daily and for right now that is it. I am noticing more production but I'm still waiting to see a lot more before I make any real judgements.

So what do they like and what to do for them special to make them produce more???

honestly, not a single thing. I think I'm enjoying success because I seeded it with so many and different types. They just eat the algae in the refugium and I assume whatever micro fragments of food make it into the refugium.

Just an update for the night, I had left the lights off and brought out a flashlight and the population is growing fast. I have 2 more shipments of copepods to add and then I believe it will be ready to start adding the bags to the tank.

Also sometime this week my brine shrimp "factory" should be arriving and I've constructed a very nice device to implement the baby brine to the tank. More updates to come.

Another update... The Chaeto in my refugium has been growing for a weed so I've decided to move more of it to my 5 gallon tank. As I inspected the 5 gallon tank when the lights were down and the growth of copepods and amphipods is phenomenal. I will continue to get more bags and put the Chaeto in them and transfer those to the tank so there will be an ongoing source of food to eat.

Back
Top Bottom