if i wanted to change my freshwater 36g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will be just LR for a year until the water has stabilized, I don't plan on really carrying over anything from my other tank. I want a coral reef tank. Maybe a few fish but mainly corals.

Ok so you have at least 40 pounds of live rocks in the tank with a powerhead or circulation pump moving the water. No HOB or canister filters. You didn't have a heater? Get one please.

Try to get all your base and live rocks now. This is the best time for curing them, so you don't even need the ammonia. The dead stuff coming off the rocks will supply you with ammonia. Do water changes if ammonia gets really high. IMHO ammonia should never be above 3ppm.

Eventually, you'll need to either moderately feed your crabs/shrimp/snails, or get a fish. The bacteria colony you'll have after the cycle will need to be fed in order to stay alive.

Lol nope I planned on starving them. J/k yes I plan on feeding them. I don't put them in until after the cycle right?

Go figure a Petco associate.. I didn't think they were right. I thought it would also cause water movement since it is basically a waterfall.

Just make sure the bottom of the filter is under water so that you don't make a bunch of bubbles. If so, you'll have a salty mess all over everything.

Ehh I've had a snail climb into my filter once but it was through the output so no big deal. Just check the filter once in awhile to see if there is anything in there

And get a bigger filter than your tank is rated for. So your tank is 36 get one rated for 50 or 75 gal I have a 75 gal filter on my 29 galon tank.

Back
Top Bottom