if i wanted to change my freshwater 36g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi it really depends on what type of set up you want?
Basically = salt,refractometer,living rock,protein skimmer,salt water test kit,R/O water or equivalent. Also you would change the lights on your current set up to marine type tubes. Hope this helps also its not as hard as it sounds:)

What about the flow? I have a biocube. :) and yes it helps. what type of lighting do I need for anemones?

Hi yes sorry forgot to mention water flow:facepalm: yes most set ups have loads of turn over,using pumps to simply recirculate the water. As for the anemone i would wait on that one as they are quite demanding and need perfect water,so i would look to have a FOWL set up = F = fish, O = only W =with, L = living rock. so that means the 'rock' filters your tank,you just need a filter for removing solids and phosphates. A phosphate remover is just like carbon. Solid removing filter is simply some sponge or equivalent.:)

Basically I plan on setting it up and letting it run for about a year, so everything is perfect, just basically live rock and a really small cuc. I want it to be awesome. It is in my livingroom and everyone that sees my chiclid tank is always saying they have never seen one so clean.. :) I am OCD and my bio is doing great other than it is small and so pest algae but I am dealing with that. I want a anemone just one if I can. Lol I spend hours looking at my tanks. I want something bigger than the bio to. Sorry lots to say and ask. :)

You will need to wait about 9 months to a year to have a bubble tip anemone safely because they are rather touchy about their water. A 150 mh is what I use on my 28 with a rose bubble tip anemone in it. If you don't want to wait until you can have a bta you can always get something like a nice torch coral that would do fine under a lot less light. If you are thinking about getting a clown so it will host the anemone don't hold your breath I have a clown that only hosts things like candy cane and acans yet it has a perfectly lovely rbta.

Certain types of clowns r more likely to host certain types of anemones. A carpet anemone is more likely to host a percula or ocellaris than a bta. Your best bet with a bta us basically any other clown, tomato, maroon, skunk, etc. Don't get me wrong perculas will host a bta, I'm just saying research will give u best odds.

Hi Torrie any progress on your plans? A smart CUC will keep you looking at the tank for ages as they are so amazing to watch. But a fish will help you learn loads more.Most damsels are very hardy but can be quite 'bold' and a little aggressive to other tank mates but not all are the same! I had a yellow tail blue one and he/she was so placid it was amazing,and so friendly! Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing and ask away with the questions:cool:

For now waiting until I have found new homes for my snow white, bumble bee, jewel and three other african chiclids a new home.. :) and then it is on. It will be so bad [moderator edit] and the key to that is take it very slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi look on the bright side? It will give you time to plan and have a look around to see what you like the look off? Good luck:)

Oh yeah found them a home, now on to making this tank. I must say it is going to be bad [moderator edit] :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I never had a fresh tank but I'm pretty sure cycling a saltwater tank much different than fresh. Usually takes about month or so to cycle your saltwater till ammonia 0 and nitrites 0. Get water, all rocks, pumps in then start cycle. Need to add ammonia source to kick start cycle.

Ok as for waiting a year to get a bta I defiantly didn't do that I only waited 4 months and I only have 1 24" t8 50\50 bulb and its doing great. I feed it mysis once every 3 days and to top it all off my 2 occ clowns hosted it with in a week of it being in my tank. As soon as it found its spot in the tank the clowns knew what to do. Mine is a green bta if that makes any difference. I know I need to upgrade the lighting annd that will be soon. But for now it works. So don't give up hope. You can have a nem as soon as the water is good for a few months. My amonia and trites never went above 0 and trates never above 10 after the cycle. Just take it good and slow.

And don't get a damsel they will attack everything. I had to take mine oout because it was harassing my mated pair of occ clowns

jwalsh said:
And don't get a damsel they will attack everything. I had to take mine oout because it was harassing my mated pair of occ clowns

+1. Damsels are bullies.

So I have my tank up and going and need to know how much ammonia to add to it? It has been running for about a week now.

Attachments

• image-3804029728.jpg
    image-3804029728.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image-4240422694.jpg
    image-4240422694.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 60
So.. Where are the live and/or base rocks? That's the route you wanted to take, correct?

What will you carry over from your previous FW setup?

Tell us everything about your tank and what you're trying to accomplish with it.

Btw, read other people's SW tank build to learn more.

It will be just LR for a year until the water has stabilized, I don't plan on really carrying over anything from my other tank. I want a coral reef tank. Maybe a few fish but mainly corals.

Back
Top Bottom