IM EXCITED!!!!! almost done??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyz0os

Aquarium Advice Activist
After 17 days, could it be possible that my cycle is almost done???

Water Parameters:]

Ammonia- <0.25
Nitrite-<0.25 (seems to be that way. was higher, now its dark blue, light blue is zero:])
Nitrate- went to 0 from 20:]
pH- 7.8
Salinity- 1.020

Also, i've been reading that it is recommended to start the tank off with a cleanup crew after cycle and wait a week? If it's true, i'm wondering if i can get a watchman goby along with them? He is a bottom dweller and moderately sifts through sand

Id wait until your ammonia hits 0 before you add anything imo. It seems to me that your still in your cycle maybe a week or so more to go? I'm still rather new to sw but had fw tanks my whole life. Hope this helps somewhat

Id wait until your ammonia hits 0 before you add anything imo. It seems to me that your still in your cycle maybe a week or so more to go? I'm still rather new to sw but had fw tanks my whole life. Hope this helps somewhat

Thanks:] And yeah i know to wait until the ammonia and nitrite hit 0. really close though haha as for the clean up crew and goby question, that's for after cycle :p

How big Is the tank?

After your cycle, the goby will be fine. CUC's don't add tremendously to the bioload so I don't see a reason to wait a week. What was the reason for that?

PrettyFishies said:
How big Is the tank?

After your cycle, the goby will be fine. CUC's don't add tremendously to the bioload so I don't see a reason to wait a week. What was the reason for that?

My tank is 37 gallons. As for the clean up crew, yeah there was somr forum Here that I read in which someone recommended it so that the cuc would clean the tank a bit before putting fish

i would raise that salinity up to .025-.026. add a bunch of crustaceans and gastropods only if you like them. they are not necessary.

mr_X said:
i would raise that salinity up to .025-.026. add a bunch of crustaceans and gastropods only if you like them. they are not necessary.

Should I raise the salinity now or wait until I do the big pwc?

mr_X said:
you could raise it up now or later, but just raise it before you get your livestock.

In that case I'll do it during the pwc. I raised the temp to help the cycle and in doing so, a chunk of my water is missing due to evaporation :p

mr_X said:
raising the temp won't help the cycle. keep it steady and 78ish.

Oh really? Haha guess I should ask around first before I start testing theories straight up

raising the temp won't help the cycle. keep it steady and 78ish.

Is this the case for just salt water theneard about the "increase your temp to speed the cycle! from an article here after I cycled my salt water so I never tried it, but I just started cyling my 75g freshwater tank and with the high temperature I've already noticed is making a difference. I believe I'm day 5 into it and nitrites just started to appear last night. Temp is right around 86-87.

i don't think the temp has anything to do with it. i think it has to do with the size of the initial ammonia source.

I agree I've always thought that the cycle speed depends on the initial levels of ammonia introduced to the tank

Back
Top Bottom