I'm going to add LR. What do I need at the ready?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bedminsterrph

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, I've made the decision to add LR to my already up and running 29 gallon aquarium. I will order from liverocks.com. I've read the article on curing live rock on this site.

I think I should begin with 10 pounds, get that established, then consider adding more. Does that sound reasonable?
Which type of LR should I order from LR.com? One type seems to be described as colorful, another as full of life. Is this just a preference thing?
I will have salt water, power heads, etc. set up and ready as described in the curing article. What do I do to the LR before putting it in the water to begin curing?
What supplies should I have at the ready? Should I order joes juice and have it ready just in case? Any other supplies?

Thanks!

Watch out for mantis shrimp on the gulf rocks. Other than them I am very happy with the #30 gulf rock I ordered. I got a lot of snails, cup corals and other corals I cant rember the names of. I will probly be ordering #10 of keys to add color to my gulf rock. I would suggest #10 gulf and #10 keys to get the best of both worlds. :D :D I would also suggest getting most of it at once cuz shiping is expensive. :x

liverocks.com is great rock. Good choice in adding some. I would suggest that you add more then 10lbs in the begining. I would add 30-40lbs. You can save some money on the shipping charges if you order it all at once. You should not need to do much to it. They do not reccommend re-curing their LR once you get it. It is packaged very well and arrives with very little die-off. You can just put it in your tank and then monitor water parameters for a few days after that. Be ready to do some small water changes if you experience a little ammonia spike. I had no change in parameters when I add some to my tank. Good luck...Lando

Agree with Lando, you should add more than 10 lbs, maybe go with 25lbs, this way it won't be much more $ and the shipping will be about the same. I am going to add some of my LR order from them to my display tank right away as lando said, i'll just watch the water parameters at first.

Good luck,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom