I'm new, buying existing LR aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdang

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I'm about to buy an existing 37 gallon saltwater setup with 60 lbs of LR, 2 true percs, live sand, and some sort of starfish and some hermit crabs. I'm getting the tank, cabinet, everything in the tank and all equipment he has associated with the tank for <250. I have been told that the rock itself is worth at least 200 or so.

I have a 40 gallon tank at home which i would like to transfer everything over to. What are my options as far as the best way to get the stuff home without killing it (~15 miles) and then putinng everything into the new tank and adding more water to fill the 40 gallon up.

In its current state all the tank has been on for the past 6 months is a powerhead and air pump. I plan on adding a protien skimmer and power filter when i get everything back together.

Are there any tips that you guys have that i need to look out for, things not to do, etc that would be great.

Thanks a bunch

Thats a good deal yes.

Please reference our article on how to move a tank. Its in the FW section of the articles but it will hold for SW aswell. Basicly keep as much water as you can and transport everything in buckets keeping the rock damp, no need to cover with water and have the fish and inverts in their own bucket with water.

thanks for the reply. just found out that the rock has a bit of an aip problem, but nothing that cant be taken care of.

cant wait to get this sucker started

Mix and prep the SW in the new location at least a day (or more if possible ahead of time).

This may sound basic, and forgive me if you already knew this, but you don't want to fill the tank, then add/stir salt and throw your new critters (including the LR) right in there. :) If the salt hasn't had a chance to completely dissolve, you will have problems.

Also get the temp, SG, and PH in the new tank as close to the old one as possible. Then if you have extra containers - take as much of the existing water as you can to smooth out the transition.

Congrats on the new tank. and Congrats on finding this forum. I've found everyone here to be very helpful.

Nate C

hmm i was hoping to use some of the old water...and just replace around half the water with new water but didnt think of the stir up factor.

I guess i could find out what he has the tank at now and just get the salt and get tank going tomorrow.

hmmm use completely new water or use some of the old water??

and if i use new water other than salt do i need to do anything else (add any other stuff to the water) besides use distilled water?

Yes, absolutely use some of the old water. Much less stress on the animals. I would go at least half old water.

Good deal. Thanks for all the help!

What is the best way to add 20 gallons to the tank without stirring everything up? I'm guessing with some kind of pump or siphon????

I use a siphon. You can pour it like quarryshark, or if you have extra cash you could invest in a small pump. But i wouldn't spend the money. Just either pour your water or use a siphon. The only thing bad about using a siphon is that you have to take in gravity as a factor of transporting the water. :mrgreen:

I use a siphon. You can pour it like quarryshark, or if you have extra cash you could invest in a small pump. But i wouldn't spend the money. Just either pour your water or use a siphon. The only thing bad about using a siphon is that you have to take in gravity as a factor of transporting the water. :mrgreen:

Sorry first-timer89, but I would not use the seaclone. Go for the best up front. You will save lots of Mula in the end. Maybe a Remora. :wink:

And I agree with Qshark that you should use at least half of the old water. :D

alright got the tank setup and i got a bunch of cloudiness. I gues this is pretty common but now i have the 2 clowns in a 15 qt tupperware. i dont want to put them in that cloudy tank. but will they be ok in the small tub for a while? what is my best bet to help them out? thanks

just tested all my levels and they are what they are supposed to be....it is slowly clearing up...but my clowns dont look too hot...they are just kinda "hoppin" on the bottom of the tupperware. my girlfriend keeps sayin the "the nemos are going to die!" I hope they dont.

I've only been doing this for a few months, but If your levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temp, sg) in the tank are all ok. I'd add the fish to the tank (slowly - search this site for "acclimation". They'll have a better shot than in the tupperware, imo.

Back
Top Bottom