I'm ready to add livestock and can use some help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 120 FOWLR completed it's cycle a couple of days ago and want to add some livestock. I did a 50% water change this morning and tested the water parameters an hour ago these are the results. Hopefully these value are within range.

NH3 + NH4 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 6 mg/l
PH = 8.3
KH = 8
Copper = 0
Phosphate = .2 MG/L
Silicate= 4 MG/L
Specific Gravity = 1.022
Water Temp = 79 Degrees

I would like to start off with 3 juvenile Ocellaris Clown fish (Hopefully it's not too many) and am not sure but when should I assemble my cleaning crew?

I think you're fine to add three small clowns and the start of your CUC. You may want to start with a nassarius crew and wait to see what algae develops (and it will, don't sweat it and let it mature ;)) before deciding on other snails.

I would rather add a mated pair. With three separate clownfish you might have some territorial issues. A yellow eyed Kole tang would be nice.

I think you're fine to add three small clowns and the start of your CUC. You may want to start with a nassarius crew and wait to see what algae develops (and it will, don't sweat it and let it mature ;)) before deciding on other snails.
Cool, sounds like a plan I'll check out the nassarius crew. What do you think of the tank parameters?

Tank parameters are good...nice silicate test!
I have to agree, three clowns might cause issues, with the "third wheel" syndrome. In the wild, there are quite a few clowns, so the picking order is not as stringent. If you can't get a mated pair, get two that are the same size and let nature take it's course.

Tank parameters are good...nice silicate test!
I have to agree, three clowns might cause issues, with the "third wheel" syndrome. In the wild, there are quite a few clowns, so the picking order is not as stringent. If you can't get a mated pair, get two that are the same size and let nature take it's course.
Thanks roka, this is my 1st SW tank and am not to familiar with some of these additional tests, I'm happy they're good now i have a baseline so i can identify quickly when things start to slide. 2 clowns seem to be the consensus, so better off with 2 juvies? Why do so many people say to put 3?

Hmmm, I'm not sure that I have seen "many" people state 3 clowns are a good idea....are you thinking of chromis....they tend to work better in odd numbers (not in any of my tanks though), maybe even certain damsels as well (clowns are damselfish too).

Hmmm, I'm not sure that I have seen "many" people state 3 clowns are a good idea....are you thinking of chromis....they tend to work better in odd numbers (not in any of my tanks though), maybe even certain damsels as well (clowns are damselfish too).
You're correct, they don't advise 3 but 2 is a good thing. I'll follow your and Mikes recommendation and get 2 juvies since trying to obtain a mated pair seems to be elusive. I must apologize, ever since 40 passed 3 yrs ago everything seems to be failing, and I thought my vision wouldn't be one of them. OH well, its not CRS anymore it's Super CRS and there ain't nothin I can do about it but ride the wave. Thanks for your input.

Keith

You would get along great with Ray (austinsdad), he claims to suffer from the same thing!

Back
Top Bottom