I'm starting to get twitchy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alastair

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I,ve described how full of life my live rock is in my intro and have looked up some of the hitchhickers which I can name, some still battling to find the exact species:
counted 8 crabs, small white hairy with dark purple pinchers and one pom pom red, white and black checkered pattern with bright green polyps or anemones on each pincher. a thick brown polyp thats doubled in size now 4 cm.
3 stomatella, a small white asterina star, lots of copipods and what looks like lots of white worms protruding from the rocks at night, small 2 tone britleworm, there's alot and I'm not sure about those guys. I have red fan worms and green, forgive me (miniture sunflowers?). I'll look them up.
Heres my worry, Im starting to see brown detritis? all over on what was my lovely prestine rocks, 2 days ago brown algae started at the highest rock in the tank, the stringy type, I've just got the torch out and the stomatella are mowing it big time.
Should I be concerned,who cleans the detritus them or me? them=occupants mentioned.
My water is still good, no amonia after a reading of 0.5 on day 2 and back to zero on day 4, we are now 8 days old..I'd hate the wheels to fall off now.

I believe what you are describing is diatoms. That is part of your cycle and nothing to worry about. They will burn them selves out as your tank matures over the next few weeks. Keep testing your water and watch the levels of Ammonia, NitrIte and Nitrate.

The "sunflowers" are probably feather dusters. They come in many shapes and colors. The white worms could be spaghetti worms or maybe a peanut worm. If the worm is stringy looking and very very thin it is probably the spaghetti worm. A single tube looking extension from the rock that retracts quickly if it senses movement or light is a peanut worm. Neither of which are a concern.

The crabs with the exception of the pom pom probably should go. Most hairy little crabs are not very nice to the SW tank and it's other inhabitants.

Wow, great link Ziggy953 thanks for the advice, your'e right about the spagetti worms, the sunflowers look more like single button polyps on the link unfortunatly it's all miniture at the moment will have to wait patiently.
Any advice on catching methods for crabs?

I agree with Allen. Here is a decent link to common hitch hikers:
Xtalreef
Crabs can be caught but leaning a glass up against the rock and adding food in the bottom. The crab goes in and can't get back out.

I like that, I had visions of late night vigils with a net and a bottle of whiskey. lol
What do I use for bait...are these crabs omnivores, please dont say micro algae or I'll be having visions again.......

Back
Top Bottom