Impact of carbon use during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Although I have no reason to think that it would, I'd just like to ask experienced folks if the use of carbon during the cycle will prolong the cycling period. I needed to use it to kill the smell of the two corpses in my tank (jumbo shrimp), which it did remarkably well (at least for now).

The smell was a bit of a nuisance, considering that the tank is about 18 inches from where I am sitting right now.

Thanks for any light you may shed on this.

BTW - I'm in day 5 of the cycle with elevated temp and rotting shrimp flesh, and I think I'm JUST seeing nitrites. I don't know how it's possible for people on this and other boards to report completing an entire cycle in 1 week. Oh, well.....I'll just have to be patient. :)

Thanks. How about the use of chemicals such as Prime, which purport to eliminate the toxicity of the Big 3 without impacting the cycle?

(I have no reason to use it, because there's no macro life in there yet. Just want to be as well-informed as possible.)

Back
Top Bottom