Impulse buy, what should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, my tank has been cycled for over a month now. I added the clean-up crew about 3-4 weeks back, added 2 perc clowns 2-3 weeks ago, and a green star polyp rock about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I finally picked up the hammer coral I had on hold for a week. When I was at the lfs, I saw this great looking open brain. In my head, I wanted to wait and be patient with my additions but I gave in and purchased the open brain AND 2 firefish.
So I came home with a hammer, open brain, and 2 firefish. The firefish are in quarantine and they are eating and getting along. The open brain looks awesome, very meaty and plump and fullly opened with great color. The Hammer is fully opened as well, and my 2 percs seem like they are interested in hosting in it, lol.

Well, do you think I made a mistake? I called the lfs and they said that they would be willing to hold something for me if I wanted to bring it back. I didn't intend to buy all that I did, but now that it's done, what should I do? Do corals add to the bio-load of the tank, or do we only consider fish?
I tested my water a few mins. ago and here are the readings:

ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 2or3
pH - 8.2
alk.- 3.5 meq/l
calcium- 400ppm
salinity .024

thanks.

Sounds like your tank is pretty good to go.... inverts/corals don't add to the bio load.... you should be alright.... let all of that settle in to make sure you don't get any spikes before you add anything else.....

We have all been there and done that. Just keep an eye on them. Your firefish should be fine. I'm not sure, but I would think a coral would add to the bio-load. Your readings look good.

Its my understanding that corals do not add to the bio load..... You will be fine. When you see a nice coral you need to snatch that sucker up before the other guy does...

Back
Top Bottom