In need of some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newcommer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am new to this site as well as aquariums in general. I am trying to take in as much info as possible, but find it a little overwhelming and advice seems to differ greatly depending on who you ask. Starting up (of course) was more than I thought. We have a 14 galloon, bio-cube, saltwater tank. We purchased it, along with 12 pounds of (cured) live rock and a Damselfish 6 weeks ago. We have recently added quite a bit to our tank, and today are seeing some negative affects. Our nitrate levels have spiked for the first time and today, we lost some of our new soft coral. Our new Anomne isn't looking too well either. We have been doing 10% weekly water changes, and have added 5 mL of the biological aquarium supplement each time (as directed by the aquarium store). We did another water and filter change today. It is starting to smell pretty bad in there too.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated right now.

Thank you!!:)

I don't have all the info yet... I didn't know we needed to test more than the nitrite until my husband chatted with some people on the site! We are going back to the aquarium store to take back the Anemone and get all the required testing. Right now we just have a nitrite test, which came up at .03 / L.

what u will need is to test the water....since u are going to have some sort of corals, this might be the test u need to do;
ammonia-
nitrites-
nitrates-
pH-
phosphates-
alk-
Mg-
Cal-
since u have reading in nitrites, your tank might in cycle process...your tank is just one week old....u need to cycle the water at least a week with the cured LR....but u need to test it before to add any live stock...and of course i would say your tank not fully cycle.....JMO

Forget the supplements. All they do is supplement the lfs's income. PWC's are all you need UNLESS testing proves otherwise. That requires that you have some quality test kits and a refractometer.

Here's my rules for a successful aquarium:
Rule # 1. Nothing Good ever happens Fast in a salt water aquarium
Rule # 2. Don't add anything (supplements/chemicals/minerals)you don't test for first.
Rule # 3. PWC (Partial Water Changes) are your friend, and cure many ills.
Rule # 4. QT EVERYTHING before adding it to your tank (mandarins excepted, corals should be dipped)
Rule # 5. Use only RO or RODI water (either buy it or make it)
Rule # 6. All animal species live longer on a 30% reduced caloric intake. Only feed every other day at most (fish species dependent)
Rule # 7. Hyposalinity is the best, safest, and most effective treatment for marine Ich (IMHO)
Rule # 8. A Refractometer is a MUST HAVE, not a luxury.
Rule # 9. Anemones will never live anywhere near their normal (approx 30 years) lifespan in a home aquarium. Leave them in the ocean.
Rule # 10. The tank size recommendations for fish are there for a reason - HEED THEM!
I have been asked to add
RULE 0 - Don't believe the LFS!

In the original post the tank is listed as 6 weeks old (not one). With live rock it should be cycled by now, right?

Also, shouldnt the tank be established much longer before adding corals of any kind?

To help you get more results I`m moving this to the Sw getting started forum. BTW welcome to AA

it's quite possible the tank isn't cycled yet. any detectable ammonia or nitrite is toxic.
what all did you add to the tank recently, besides the anemone?

btw, Cmor is right- supplements are rarely necessary, and more times than not, exacerbate the problem.

Back
Top Bottom