in sump skimmer queston?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Oceanic Model 6 in sump skimmer. I have it sitting in the bottom on a 30 gallon sump. Any ideas what i can put underneath the skimmer to hold it up higher in the sump? With it sitting in the bottom i can only fill sump about one third full. Or it will float the top of the skimmer. Can i use a brick or something to put under the skimmer to hold it up higher? Or will it contaminate the tank? Thanks for the advise Duane

Duane, I would not use a brick for fear of it leaching contaminants into the water, i would used some 3" PVC piping to raise it up. drill some holes into the pipe to allow some water flow, you dont want it becoming stagnant under there.

hey Dewey,
I have the same skimmer as you. I think. does it say plus model 6, is it gray, if so what do you have on your return? I have a 90 degree elbow back into the sump. But I can twist the elbow to change the height of the water in the skimmer tower. Just wondering if you know at what height the water should be in the tower to produce the best foam? or if anyone else has an answer. Thanks
Shawn

skimmer

Hi , thanks for the reply. Do you have your skimmer sitting in the sump or next to it? Im sure we have the same skimmer.I think the water height should be close to the top. Thats how my seaclone works anyway.. Thanks for the reply shawn... Thanks Duane

Hi..
mine is in the sump. I have set my water level to the bottom of the collection cup. Maybe I will try and raise it up a bit. I dont think im getting enough skimmate out of the skimmer.

skimmmer

Hi shawn sorry i didnt get back to you sooner. i was out of town. I got your messege through aquarium advise but nothing else.... Thanks Dewey

Ocanic model Six skimmer

Well i have raised the skimmer up about six inches with two 4 inch pvc. one under skimmer and
one under pump with lots of 1 inch holes drilled in them.The side of the skimmer on the return.(when the water goes back into sump?) I have no idea how to adjust water height. But the skimmer seem to be working great. Its puts out alot more yuk than my seaclone 100 did. Does any one have a good photo of this elbow? Im just wondering How long the return is. I went to the local hardware store and could not find something with same threads. A 3/4 threaded elbow kind of fitted but did not go in very easy. Thank for all the input Dewey

im thinking about a new skimmer
how is the model 6 working for u dewey? and what size tank are you running it for?
i was thinking either a model 6 or a seaclone 100 for my 90. since you've owned both, what are some pro/cons of each model
much appriciated
peter

Imo the model six is better but im shure others will think the Seaclone works fine to. The seaclone is a smaller unit. The model 6 does take up alot of room in sump which if fine if you got the room. My tank is a 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump.

Hope this helps Dewey

Back
Top Bottom