In Wall Reef Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope I'm following along! Sorry, I've been pretty much lurking lately but I do agree that I really like your scape. Hopefully that live rock seeds quickly!

So am I. Looks great, very clean setup. Keep the updates coming

Thanks! I'll update as much as possible. Probably won't be much while the tank is cycling. I did just sign up for the BRS group buy on this forum. So maybe I'll pick up some more stuff when it starts on Tuesday. You guys should definitely sign up as well. You can get a much better price on different stuff.

Paul, you may check out the group buy if you're still thinking about an RO/DI system. Good way to save some money on one!

How do you like your apex system ?

So far I'm really liking it. The tank and controller are so new, it's hard for me to give a great opinion. With that said, I think it brings a lot of value to the table. If you like having control over then setup, it's definitely something you'd like. This weekend I will probably get a little more in depth into controllling it.

I'm going to pick up 2 Vortech MP10wES powerheads as well as the wireless module for my apex. I think it's going to be pretty nice having them. I'm also picking up 6 new T5 bulbs for my fixture. ATI Blue+, Aquablue Sp., Blue+, Purple+, Aquablue Sp., Blue +(In that order). Hoping I like the color.

Cycle is going well.

31.jpg

Let us know how you set up your wireless apex set up. I assume you are making a witless connection to your router?

Let us know how you set up your wireless apex set up. I assume you are making a witless connection to your router?

Absolutely. I was going to hard wire the Apex, but I didn't want to run an Ethernet all the way to the Apex. I first plugged in the Apex with it hardwired. I updated everything set up my email and set up a page for me to view the Apex from anywhere. After I got the Apex updated, I bought a Netgear WNCE2001-100NAS wireless bridge. It was really easy to set up with my wireless router. I set up the bridge next to my Apex on my tank stand and ran a short Ethernet cord from the bridge to my Apex. It works out really well and the bridge was under $50.

Just following up on the Apex question...

I didn't program anything too crazy. Basically I set times for my display lights and sump light to come on. Set different temperatures for my heater to run on. Set up a feed timer which shuts off my return, my skimmer, powerheads, and turns on my sump light. After five minutes they start coming back online. This is all done with the push of one button.

Also set up a feed timer for when I'm doing maintenance or water changes. My return pump, skimmer, ATO, and heaters all shut off for 30-35 minutes and my sump light comes on. This is all done with the push of one button as well!

Then I set up some email alerts. So if my Temp or pH gets to high or the power goes out, it automatically sends me an email. Pretty cool stuff.

When my vortech powerheads arrive, I will program these to go into different modes depending on the time of day.

One of the things that have been bothering me are how close to the water my lights are. Since it's a 6 bulb fixture, it basically covers the whole space above the tank. The legs of the light fixture only lift the light a couple inches off the top of the tank. Makes it hard to get anything in the tank, work from the top of the tank, and makes me worry about burning up corals.

I really didn't have any room to raise the light up, but was able to make a little hanging kit that gave me an extra 5-6 inches above the tank.

33.jpg

34.jpg

Just a couple changes. I've had zero ammonia and nitrites for quite awhile and after it dropped to 0, I did a water change to lower nitrates and ordered a CUC. Major diatom outbreak but the snails and crabs are doing a good job. Just received my new ATI bulbs and they definitely give a much cleaner look. It's a good balance between white and blue. Hard to capture it on a cell phone camera. I haven't pulled the trigger on the MP10's yet. They're so expensive. I still definitely want them though. I may buy one this weekend and one a few weeks after.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393377727.509631.jpg

Pretty pumped today. I ordered my first MP10w and it should be here by Tuesday. I also bought an Ocellaris Clown, a Black and White Ocellaris Clown, Cleaner Shrimp, a monti, an acan, and some zoa's!

Also want to give a shout out to AquaticLife. Two of my lunar lights were working intermittently so I emailed their customer support. I figured I would hear back in a week. They emailed me back in 30 minutes, told me how they upgraded the lunar lights on their new fixtures and went ahead and sent me 4 new LEDs free of charge. Awesome customer service!

Back
Top Bottom