In Wall Reef Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankAbagnale

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm new to saltwater tanks, but not new to fish keeping. I currently have two freshwater planted tanks and have used this forum on the freshwater side for over a year.

After moving into a new home, I am planning on adding a 40 Breeder reef aquarium in one of the walls in my basement. I took out a built in bookcase and am using that spot for the aquarium. Below is a list of equipment that I have with pictures following.

I would definitely appreciate any advice or comments. Right now I need to figure out drilling the tank and installing an overflow (I'm not sure what to do for the overflow), and setting up my sump.

Aquarium: 40 Breeder
Sump: 20 Long
Lighting: AquaticLife T5HO 6 Lamp w/ 4 Lunar's
Skimmer: Reef Octopus 4 Needle Wheel (100 Gal)
Return Pump: Danner Mag Drive 7 (700 GPH) - Figured I can slow it down.
Powerheads: 2 Hydor Evo 750's with Hydor Smartwave Controller

This is my 10 Gallon Planted
1.jpg

My 40 Breeder Planted
2.jpg

The Basement Room where new tank will go.
3.jpg

The bookcase that will become a tank.
4.jpg

So this weekend consisted of the construction phase. I took out the bookcase back panel and the shelves.

I built a structure into the bookcase and behind it to hold the stand.

And then I filled in around it and painted. I still need another coat of paint and a few finishing touches, but it's pretty much there.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Kinda a waiting game now... I have a glass shop cutting some glass for my sump baffles. I took the 20 long back and grabbed a 29G in its place.

Instead of making my own overflow like I planned, I ordered the Glass-Holes 700GPH overflow. I think it will make my life a lot easier. I also ordered a return kit. I'm going to be out of town for work until Thursday evening so I hope to drill the tank and setup the sump Friday. Hopefully I can paint the tank Friday or Saturday and plumb on Sunday.

Wish me luck!

Well I made a mistake when measuring for my baffles...Picked up the glass and then had to take it back to be re cut. Unfortunately it won't be ready until Monday.

I did get the rest of the painting finished and set up my light. My overflow is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I hope to drill the tank and paint the back and sides tomorrow. Sunday I can start plumbing a bit and Monday I will get the sump setup.

Not sure when I'll get the live rock and sand...Next Friday I'm going to order a RO/DI system and probably won't have it until the week after. I'm thinking I might wait until I have that set up to get the tank running. I really don't want to have to haul 60 Gallons of water from the LFS to my house!

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

So I finally got my order from glass-holes and drilled my tank. Drilled one hole in the middle for the overflow and one to the side for the return.

I also got the tank painted, set up my sump, and plumbed everything.

Now I need to set up an RO/DI system (I'm an industrial filter salesman so I may have one laying around my office), buy some sand, and buy some rock.

Does anyone have any advice on rock? I was thinking of ordering 40lbs of dry Pukani rock from BRS and putting some live rock in my sump to help seed the dry rock. What's everyones thoughts on this? I was going to go with Fiji Pink sand. Any thoughts on this?

I also need to start thinking about what I will stock so I don't make any stupid/quick decisions in the future. The only thing for sure will be to clowns. Other then that, I have no idea.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good so far! I wouldn't mind having an in-wall build someday, very clean looking.

I went a little crazy this morning and bought a bunch of stuff for the build...

Went ahead and ordered a RO/DI system. I didn't have one sitting around, and BRS buys theirs from my company. Figured I would support them...

Also ordered the 40 lbs of Pukani rock. Hopefully it's enough...we'll see!

Then....I went crazy!

I ordered a Tunze 3155 ATO system, an Eheim 3000 pump (this Danner is pretty loud), a Cobalt heater, some Fiji Pink sand, and.....an Apex Controller with Temp and PH probe!

I'm pretty excited! Should start getting some of the stuff this Saturday and the rest early next week!

That looks really good!!!!
The planted tanks are also cool!! :)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks great so far. I also have a 40 breeder and ordered pukani rock from brs. I ordered 60#s and it was way too much. I bet 40#s will be hard to fit into your rank. Mine also came in really big pieces that I had to break up. Good luck!!

It's going to be a good day!

I received my Apex Lite controller with PH probe.
21.jpg

My Neo-Therm heater and the Eheim pump. Hope it's not as loud as the Danner!
23.jpg

And some Reef Crystals!
22.jpg

Been busy tonight getting the Apex setup. It's pretty sweet! Took awhile to get going but I think I have it down. I bought a wireless bridge so I didn't have to run Ethernet all the way downstairs.

I also got my sand in the mail, as well as a refractometer, and a pour and dip container for acclimating. I've wanted one for a long time for my freshwater tank and decided to use my amazon points to get it.

RO/DI and Pukani rock should be arriving tomorrow. It's supposed to snow 4-6" tomorrow so I hope they make it!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391479429.347052.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391479451.135995.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391479464.840430.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391479475.739546.jpg

Looks like it gonna be a good one. Love the in-wall look. Im following. I have a 39 gallon, wish i had the 40 breeder dimensions! Heres mine.
img_2819353_0_3324ced7ecf7f5ae1a143fadefa4ff15.jpg

Back
Top Bottom