info on floor loads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

s10469

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to set a 90 gal. in my bedroom, which is upstairs, and was wandering how to know if your floor is strong enough. My floor joists look like 2x8, or 10, and it looks like the tank would be setting on a header. I know this aint a saltwater question, but it is a tank through the floor question. Any info. would really help. Thanks

If there is a bearing wall directly under, or very close to where the tank will be you should be OK. You should find out for sure what size the ceiling/floor joists are. Also, which way are the joists running in relation to how the tank will sit?

FWIW, I put a floor jack in the basement under my 125.

It all depends on which way the floor joists are running. If they are coming off an outside wall straight out from the tank you will be fine. If they are running from either side of the tank to the other side of the tank i would be a little shy about having it there unless its a short distance from a load bearing wall underneath it.

Couldn't tell you much about the floor but you can do a weight estimation on it. water weighs 8.33 lbs per gallon. then add in how much LR your going to add and guess on the weight of your tank and stand. You will have a rough number on what the tank will weigh. Not sure if that helps. 8.3*90 is approx. 750lbs

Exactly. So in the end we're talking the weight of 4-5 grown men. No Superbowl parties for you!! Call your local HD or building supply store, they'll say .... 'without a doubt'.

Now I wouldn't put that in the middle of the floor and have that party but the perimeter... without a doubt

Back
Top Bottom