"Inherited" saltwater tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a clue, at the very least keep an eye on it. Can you scrape it off? Maybe an idea but that could spread it through the tank. Google it!

I did google it, and the best idea I could find was that its a type of algae (go figure) and is usually present when there's not a lot of oxygen in the sand, and is usually found on the bottom side of LR. So, I think I'll put off lighting 2 more weeks, and invest in some more CUC, and go from there.

Could be black sponge, I'm sure you read the info. You could do one of three things. Leave light off, pull rock and scrape clean / break piece off, or leave rock in get a siphon hose and place near rock as you scrape and siphon out the debris. I'd try the first two in that order, your idea first then pull and scrape if it doesn't work. Weird things happen when you move a tank. Have you done some water tests?

At the moment, I don't have any lighting on the tank, it does get filtered, indirect lighting through a window during the day, but if anything, I would think it wasn't getting ENOUGH lighting. I did order some snails (really hope they don't overrun my tank, but if they do, I'll get a puffer fish, heard they like snails correct me if I'm wrong). I think I'm going to give it a couple weeks after I get my snails. See what they do with it, and go from there. It doesn't appear to be spreading and if it is, it's not doing it very quickly. I'm acclimating a cleaner shrimp to my tank as I'm writing this, so hopefully everything goes good with it.

Unfortunately, I have only had a chance to test the water once since I've gotten the tank, borrowed the kit from the guy I got the tank from. I can test my salinity, which at the moment is 1.022. I'll stop at my lfs and see if he has any kits on hand. He doesn't stock a lot of saltwater equipment, but he does stock the fish, so maybe I can take a sample of my water for him to test.

Back
Top Bottom