Initial Stocking? Too Much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Gang:

I have a 45 Gal with cannister filter, two power heads, 2 bags of live sand, 20 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of base rock. I am nearing (I think) the end of my cycle and believe that by this weekend I will be ready to do some initial stocking. I want to start with two clowns because my wife and daughter REALLY want clowns. Ok, so I like them too. Can I go with the two clowns and add a CUC of maybe 10 snail and 10 crabs? If so, can I also add a fire shirmp or diamond goby or both? I am anxious to get this thing going but don't want to over do it. I trust the judgement of all of you more than the LFS. :)

I would stick with a pair of clowns. Maybe in a week or so you can pick up your cuc, like snails, hermits and shrimp. In another week or 2 you can add another fish or two.

It's important not to add too many at once, you dont want to overwork your current bacteria, you want it to adjust to the 2 fish then cuc then more fish.

You've waited this long, might as well take it slow. Better results that way. I promise. ;-)

thats alot for a begining CUC, maybe start out with 5 snails and 5 crabs and the clowns. i wouldn't put a shrimp in for a few months

I knew you guys would burst my bubble but that is why I trust you both. :) I have seen a couple of fire shrimp but one in particular that is spectacular. Maybe I can talk the LFS into saving him for me. :) Thanks guys fot keeping me grounded.

I agree, start with a pair of clowns and take it slow. Doubtful your lfs will hold the shrimp for you buy again be patient. You will find the right inhabitants for your tank.

Back
Top Bottom