Instant Ocean phosphate test kit - help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
Ok, dumb question here.
I have the instant ocean phosphate test kit. The kit uses a plastic color chart to match the colors, but the "holder" for it is on the short end of the column for the water test. Do I read it from this end so that I'm looking through the depth of the column, or read it from the other side?

Yes, that's the one. So you can kinda see why I'm confused.

My instinct tells me to read it where the color chart holder is, but there's dramitcally different results if that's not the case.

Here are the directions:
Low-Range Test

* Rinse test chamber with water to be tested. Fill test chamber to TOP line.
* Empty one foil test packet into test chamber. Cap and shake to dissolve.
* Wait 3 minutes. Compare sample to phosphate color chip (blue).
* Clean cap and sample tester with fresh water.

High-Range Test

* Rinse test chamber with water to be tested. Fill test chamber to BOTTOM line.
* Fill remainder of test chamber with distilled or de-ionized water Note: Reverse-Osmosis water (reeds zero phosphate) may also be used.
* Empty one foil test packet into test chamber. Cap and shake to dissolve.
* Wait 3 minutes. Compare sample to phosphate color chip (blue).
* Multiply reading by 5 to get actual phosphate concentration.
* Clean cap and sample tester with fresh water.*

*Do Not clean with soap containing phosphate. This will invalidate future tests.

Tips for Best Test Results

* Always view test sample and color chip against a white background illuminated by natural or fluorescent light.
* Always store test kit (Color-Chip Comparator and Sample Tester) away from light.

You read it like most pool tests. Just read it straight on with the numbers facing you against a white background. Notice that with the po4 test you are viewing a longer volume of water with the numbers facing you which helps more clearly identify the correct color. Lower levels of po4 are very hard to detect with most kits (color wise) and that is why this test is designed this way.

Ok, so I do want to be viewing the color by looking through the length of the water column. That's what I figured, but if I rotate the column 90 degrees I get a very much lighter color.

True, it's somewhat similar to the AP tests where if you can't distinguish the color look down through the tube instead of parallel to the card. Out of curiosity what is your po4 level? Usually it's hard to determine po4 levels in the tank due to algae absorbing it but if you're algae free then I feel the tests are good for making out trace levels of it.

Well, first off this is in a FW planted tank, so I'm targeting PO4 between 1-2ppm.

When I first did the test, low range, if I look through the water column, it reads well over 1ppm (the max on the color chart). However, if I turn the column 90 degrees and read through the side, I get a reading of 0.4ppm. Hence my confusion on how to read the test.

neilanh said:
Well, first off this is in a FW planted tank
Never would have guessed that since you posted in on the SW forum :p

What was the high range test results?

Yes, this is all DT's fault that I ventured into the sacred SW section of the forum. haha

I didn't test the high range yet, because I didn't have any distilled water on hand (again, I'm not a SW keeper). And since I don't know how to read the test, I can't calibrate to my tap water.

neilanh said:
Yes, this is all DT's fault that I ventured into the sacred SW section of the forum. haha
LOL! I thought your were trying to sneak over to the saltie side!

Back
Top Bottom