introducing fish to my SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
when I put the bag of fish in my tank aquarium for about 10 minutes, I then take cups of water and add my water to the bag, then I just dump the whole bag of water into my tank with the fish.

Is it fine to dump the Pet store's water into my tank??? will it be bad for the fish/mess up my water????

you should let the bag sit for 30 minutes to adjust temperature, then add a half cup of water ever 15-20 minutes after till the bag is full. Pour out half the bag, and repeat till full again. Then you want to pour the bag out into a large soft net to drain all the water and plop your new fish in. It is good practice never to add unknown water to your tank, as they might treat with copper or other medication that could kill things in your tank.

You should consider a quarantine tank or the drip acclimation method, both are explained in detail here with some quick searching. They reduce stress and if you quarantine and catch a problem fish before he comes in, will save yourself a huge headache.
Quarantine for saltwater fish

I totally agree. Never add LFS water to your tank. You`ll have all their problems before long.

I like to test the LFS water for salinity and pH before and during acclimation. Helps me to know just how quickly I can move along with the water drip (or squirts from a syringe). My LFS keeps their fish in very low salinity, so I go much slower during acclimation. I believe the last fish was around the 1.017 mark or so. I was a bit shocked!

Matt

Many lfs keep their fish tanks in the 1.018 - 1.020 range. It's actually easier on the fish. As long as you drip acclimate for an hour you'll be fine.

Many lfs keep their fish tanks in the 1.018 - 1.020 range. It's actually easier on the fish. As long as you drip acclimate for an hour you'll be fine.

mine is around 1.025 is that fine, or too much of a change for the fish??

mine is around 1.025 is that fine, or too much of a change for the fish??

It's fine, just as long as you take your time acclimating them. Fish can stand a pretty wide range of parameters, just as long as the change is gradual.

Back
Top Bottom