Iodine - What's up with that?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpeckledGrouper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a Seachem Iodine/Iodide Test Kit and did my first test today.
Instructions are kind of sketchy (especially step 1)but I did the best I could.
In step 3 is says "If a blue color develops now, elemental iodine is indicated. This should be viewed as a hazardous status. Use a dechlorinator such as "Prime" to remove elemental iodine"
Of course mine turned blue!!
What is "elemental idodine"?
Why is it hazardous?
What is "Prime"?
What should I do?

Thank you for any advice and comments

I would redo the test..elemental Iodine is deadly in a marine tank and if present would probably be killing your inverts. To be honest with you, I have the same test kit and I've used it once. Don't test for iodine/iodide/iodate and don't dose for it. All your tank's iodine needs should be addressed by feeding and regular water changes. IMO its too easy to over dose iodine and the test kits out there are not accurate enough.

I hear ya. Everything in my tank is doing good, no problems whatsoever. One of the LFS told me that anemones need Iodine and since I seem to have a problem with those I decided to test for it.
I do also read frequently about "Lugol's solution" and the wonderful results, that;s Iodine, isn't it???

I'd say it really depends on what you have in your tank. I would bet that I do more frequent water changes than most people, and yet if I didn't use Lugol's my Iodine level would be significantly below NSW.

Prime removes chlorine, chloramine, ammonia. Detoxifies nitrate and nitrite and provides a slime coat without over-activating you skimmer. It's made by Seachem.

Noooo, Prime is a dechlorinator that also detox's nitrate, nitrite and ammonia.

Cycle is a bacteria starter designed to jumpstart the nitrogen cycle in your tank.

I still haven't figured out what Bacter Vital is, despite all the ads that I see....what I know is I don't need it.

"What is "elemental idodine"?
Why is it hazardous? "

Elemental iodine is very chemically reactive due to its electron structure. It wants 1 more electron than what mother nature has given it so it tends to steal an electron from whatever it can.

It is hazardous because the stealing of electrons from something else is a chemical reaction that results in the formation of new products. Needless to say , it would be bad in your aquarium, but I cannot imagine how it would be in there in the first place. It is really quite insoluable in water as a solid and you shouldn't be seeing it in gaseous form at room temps.

Prime removes chlorine, chloramine, ammonia. Detoxifies nitrate and nitrite and provides a slime coat without over-activating you skimmer. It's made by Seachem.

I use prime whenerver I do a top off, I only use alittle since a capfull will do alot for a 55 LOL :lol:

Back
Top Bottom