Is all green bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynxpilot

Aquarium Advice Activist
pH 8.0, ammonia 0, phosphates 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5-10 range, specific gravity 1.026, temp 78 F

I'm about 3 weeks in now. Have live sand, lots of base rock, and a few large live rock from LFS. Chaeto and live sand in sump which is opposite light cycled.

Tank has high output flourescents with 2 150 W MH.

I just noticed a trace of green building up on one of the base rock and up one of the corners of the tank on the glass.

Is all green bad? At this point, it is just color and doesn't show hairs or anything, but a few weeks down the road who knows?

FWIW I have a cleanup crew (Total reef care special #1), shaving brush, and a few feather dusters on the way.

Correct, nothing in the tank other than whatever rode in on the LR. And the LR was straight from LFS tank to mine within about 1 hour.

It really depends on what you are talking about. if you are talking green coralline then no it is not bad. If you are talking green micro algeas then yes most are considered nuisance algeas. If you are talking about macro algeas then no because they help to get rid of excessive nutrients that cause nuisance algea. You are asking a very broad question and not specific enough. I hope I answered it enough for you. That was the reason I asked if anything is in the tank as you can leave the lights off and reduce any nuisance algea you may have or reduce the risk of starting it so soon.

Less worried than curious about what stage of the game I'm in at this moment. I didn't really want to end up with green hair algae before I really even got started. If corraline has a green stage, then I'll just assume the best and wait for the next step.

The base rock I put in was pristine white and now a lot of it is starting to brown up. I'm assuming that's normal and not such a bad thing. It's starting to become more like the live rock from the LFS.

Attachments

• build3 005.jpg
    build3 005.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 83
  • build3 003.jpg
    build3 003.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 80
By the way, the photos show 1. White rock with new green spot (just next to the cured rock), and 2. Green showing on the silicone seam of the tank.

No, algae in general is not bad and is just a part of life as it is in the ocean. It can be a nuisance if allowed to overun a system and inhibit other invertebrate growth.

Are you adding any calciuim addidtives? Also the PH seems to be a little low? DO you have any red or pink corraline in the tank to start with. SOmetimes seeding it with a rock with it on it helps, I recall back when I started mine I took a tooth brush infront of a power head and it really started growing everywhere.
My saying is, you need a some do grow some!

Tank is 120 gal (48 x 24 x 24). Flow is significant. I have two overflows with two each nozzles and 18 main pump along with 2 HK 4's.

Seems like the green and brown are both taking off. I've spiked with a little bit of Purple Up. Not sure if it's snake oil or really does something, but it probably won't hurt anything either way.

Spots of green and brown are sprouting all over.

I realize the pH is a bit low but I'm going to wait a bit before I worry about pH control. With all of the CaCO3 based stuff in there, I think it will be OK for now.

A little bit late, I discovered that fan worms need lots of life in an established tank and I already ordered some. Impatience got me already.

Back
Top Bottom