Is bio-ring needed for my marine tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angmoh

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do i need bio-ring for my marine tank ? is it a must ?

it's 10gal tank, with hang-on filter system .. thanks

I just did a search and are you talking about the plastic rings that go in a filter for media?

XXFirefighter , yes another name for it , ceramic rings .... is it necessary ?

If you have LR in your tank than no you need a ring. Nothing works as well as LR. The reason is the method of biological filtration. Water passes through the tiny pores of the rock and micro colonies of bacteria convert amonia to nitrate to nitrite. Your o-ring won't go that far. Forget the ring, use LR.

Well if you don't have lots of live rock I'd use them...
I used them in my nano for a long time untill i had lots of LR...

how many kg of LR do i need for the 10gal tank ? i have 2 big pieces of live rock, 1.5 kg each ...

in a small tank I'd put 2 lbs per gallon.. so 20 pounds or more... as much as you can that looks good.. they say 1.5-2 lbs per gallon but smaller tanks IMHO need more for better filtration ....

XXFirefighter , so 20 pounds of LR ? that would be too much , isnt it ? :> the 4 kgs of LR that i'm having now is filling in my tank .... does the 20 pounds inclusive of sand and very very small coral pieces ? i have about 2 inch thick sand + small coral rocks ...

thanks

ahh by the way, if i put a bag of activated carbon in my hang-on filter, will it help ?

hmm my tank is a 10gal tank , which means i need 20 lbs of LR in order to keep the cycle running smoothly , correct ? does the 20 pounds include the sand and the small coral pieces stones ?

Currently my tank have 4+kg (10 lbs) of LR + not sure how much the sand weight ... but it made up a 2 inch thick sand bed ...

What i'm doin now is to monitor the NO2 reading 2 days once ... if the reading is 0- 0.1 , can i put one ocelleris now ?

Back
Top Bottom