Is BIO-Spira a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What have you all heard about BIO-Spira, good and bad? Please tell me about your experience? Thanks.

I have tried it in a small qt tank a while back. Wish I would have saved the money. IMO, if you are trying to cycle a tank, get a few extra pounds of LR with the money you would spend on this stuff.

I agree with quarry spend the extra money on something a bit more beneficial such as the live rock or possibly asking a LFS to give you a lb or so of there sand from an established tank.

I already have 20-25 lbs of LR in the tank. Won't BIO-Spira speed up the process?

Don't waste your money. There is plenty of bacteria on your live rock and it will not speed it up. Patience is the KEY to success in this hobby. Let your tank cycle without the bio-spira and you will be better off. I tried to rush setting up my QT with this stuff and lost a couple of fish because I had another cycle. Live Rock is the best.

there is no good reason to rush anything. especially with SW tanks. how big is your tank? you should have about 1-1.5 lbs of LR per gallon.

by the way, WELCOME TO AQUARIUM ADVICE!!! :smilecolros:

My tank is 55 gallons, I may add more LR. Right now I have 3 blue damsels in there and like I said around 20 lbs. of LR. It seems like 1-1.5 lbs. of LR per gallon is a lot. Right now I do have adequate caves and hiding places for the damsels, but I really wish to emphasize the fish and provide them with plenty of swimming space. Viewing pictures of tanks with an abundance of LR (1-1 1/2 lbs per gallon) seem like they're too cluttered and don't offer enough viewing space. Believe me I do not want to rush into things, I want to do it right. Thanks and any help/advice is appreciated.

1-1.5 per gallon is what you want if you are planning on using your LR for filtration.

If you have some other form of filtration such as a HOB filter or a Canister Filter, than you wouldn't need so much.

More importantly, (accually just as importantly) Your fish will need enough structure in your tank to feel secure. Think about where they live in the ocean. There is tons of rock and structure there. right now you have them in a glass box with a little bump in the middle. By adding rock, you are accually helping to make them more active and act more naturally. (plus they will be less stressed and will live longer.)

If you are worried about viewing the fish, don't be. The Fish will always be easy to see. Plus, The Live Rock will add so much drama and appeal to your tank that it will amaze you. I spend more of my time looking at my rock than I do looking at my fish. There is so much to discover on good live rock.

If expense is what is holding you back, why not try getting another 10 lbs from a great online dealer like liverocks.com and then about 40 lbs of base rock. which will eventually become Live.

check out the gallery to see some members tanks. You will notice that the tanks that look the best are the ones with a good amount of rock. And chances are, those tanks have the happiest fish too!!!

-Matt

Thanks for the response Rocket. I forgot that base rock will eventually turn into LR and is a cheaper alternative. Also...would a protein skimmer be considered a HOB?

Back
Top Bottom