Is higher flowrate better for HOB overflow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vincerules

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 100gl tank that I will be setting up with a sump. I am trying to decide which HOB overflow box to get. I am looking at the Eshopps PF-800, which is rated at 800gph. My questions is if would be better for me to go ahead and get the PF-1000 (rated at 900gph) or even the PF-1200 (rated at 1000gph). Would there be any advantages/disadvantages on getting the higher rated models or should I just stuck with the PF-800? Thank you.

Welcome to AA!

The recommended flow thru a sump is 5-10x the tank volume. Alot depends on the size of the pump AND the size of the sump. You want to aproximately match your pump rating (gph) with your overflow. A 1000gph overflow would work fine with a 900 gph pump. But, you don't want to have a 10g sump and be running 1000 gph thru it, where it would be no problem running 1000 gph thru a 55g sump.

thank you!

ok, so what if i have a 30gl sump... what would be acceptable flowrate for this size?

For a 100g tank I would suggest going with the larger version or two of the smaller ones. I have a 120 with 2 Eshopps PF-1200 (1200gph) one on each side of the tank.

I would also recommend looking at a larger sump for your system.

Back
Top Bottom