Is it possible to have too much filtration? Also need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plkdb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now, I`m working on setting up a 55 gallon tank, live rock and fish initially, but fish being reef friendly, as thats the direction I would like to head. Need suggestions on filters, heating, and lighting. I would howerver like in the future to upgrade to a larger tank, minimum of 125. Would it be detrimental to buy a filter big enough for a 125-175 tank and run it on the 55 for now?

You can never have too much filtration. Most filters' ratings are a little optomistic anyway. Always buy a filter that can do probably twice what you need. The only consideration would be if the motor is too powerful for your particular setup (ie too much current). Just my thoughts anyway.

i have two filters made for hundred gallons aquariums each running on my 95g right now.. everything seems to be okay... plus i get water circulation from the inlet pipes...

or, you can get live rock, not have to worry about a filter and then add more rock when you get your bigger tank.

I was looking at the eheim wet dry canister model number 2229 wet dry canister filter, a hang on the back protein skimmer, and use live rock. Do you think this would be sufficient? Also how many fish could I stock in a 55 gallon tank?

The Eheim is an excellent filter and would be plenty for a 55. The thing is...you don't need it...you don't even want it. SW is different than FW in that the LR handles all the biological filtration. The only mechanical filtration you need on a reef tank or a FOWLR is a good skimmer. Take the money you were going to spend on the Eheim and buy a better skimmer. Have you thought about setting up a sump? You could hide the heaters and the skimmer in there. There is also a better selection of skimmers available for in sump use.
You'll need about 80-90lbs of LR for a 55. You may also want to look into using a DSB. There are arguments for and against these...I use this method and feel that it is a viable way to control nitrate and add biodiversity to the tank. JMHO though.
The reason you don't want the canister filter is that it will churn out nitrates. Nitrates are something you don't want in a SW tank and you REALLY don't want in a reef tank. Many inverts are very sensitive to nitrate. The LR and DSB will not only control ammonia/nitrite, but will keep nitrates in check as well.
One other thing you'll want that I didn't see mentioned in your post is powerheads. You'll want a minimum of 550gph flow in a 55g tank. More is better. I would recommend Maxi Jet PH's...they are cheap, powerful, and dependable.
If you decide to go with the HOB skimmer, especially if you intend to upgrade to a larger tank later, I would recommend the Berlin HOB or the Aqua C Remora Pro. I would not recommend the Prizm Pro...been there...didn't like it.
As far as how many fish you can stock, you really need to decide what you'd like to keep and then we can see if they will go in a 55. For that size tank, I'd stick with smaller fish...no large angels, ect... Remember the lighter you keep the bioload, the easier maintenance will be.

Thanks, you`ve given me some great advice. Now forgive my ignorance, but by sump do you mean one of the wet dry tanks that is hidden under the stand? Also was looking at a small school of blue green, and blue chromis, one or two ocellaris clownfish, a royal gramma basslet, a bicolor blenny, two spotted cardinals, two or three firefish gobies, and maybe a larger fish like a squirrelfish or something as the star. Eventually would like to add a clam or two and a starfish as well as some corals. Is this too many fish for that size aquarium? I`m still learning a lot of the differences between salt and fresh, and remember always being told in the FW section that you could have one inch of fish per gallon.

I'm a newbie to this, but if I've heard correctly, you're supposed to keep no more than 1 inch of fish (minus the tail) per 5 gallons of water. So, that sounds like a tall order for a 55 gal.

If you're seriously looking at clams you're going to need some intense lighting. You'll want metal hallides if you're going to go the clam route. Otherwise you could probably make due with high powered VHO's(how's that for redundency) or some power compacts. Either way figure you need about 3-5 watts per gallon if not more for clams.

Another note on the clams, i would stay away from them until you are very comfortable with salt water and have had your tank established for at least a year. They are alot of money and not the easiest things to care for.

To care for corals you're going to again have some pretty high light requirements. I don't know what you're budget is, but price out metal hallides and if they're too expensive(which they tend to be) then go for VHOs and the all important actinic lights.

What they mean by sump is an area under/next to/near the main tank itself. Its just an area where the water flows into to do your heating, chilling, skimming, etc. Like in the case of our 150g SW tank its in the cabinets below the tank. We still use bioballs and they are in the sump along with the heaters and the skimmer. Just keep in mind that if you go the sump route you're going to need to buy(or build if you already have the tank) overflows and returns which means you're going to need to buy a pump and all the fittings. It really does help though and if you wanted to you could eventually put in some rock and sand down there to help with filtration. Funny think about sumps though is that they don't have to be expensive. You could buy a cheapo tank or just go to the store and buy a 20g rubbermaid bin. There are numerous options for a sump so do your research before you start buying crazy stuff that you might not need.

Good luck with everything and if you have questions please ask them here for before you go guessing, i made that mistake one too many times.

-Dan

One good thing about my budget, is I dont have to pay for any electricity or water. I`d like to take a moment to thank Uncle Sam, and everyone else paying taxes,... Just kidding. I live on base, so its all free.

OK...we'll send you a bill :mrgreen: :twisted: . Kidding. I agree with Dan about the clams and the lighting. If you can go MH, do it. You may also want to include some PC or VHO actinics with the MH. Since a 55 is a 4' tank, you'll need two 175w MH's. Or...you can get VHO tubes in 48" and 46.5" lengths. I'd use at least three if not four bulbs. You can get an Icecap 440 ballast that will run three bulbs. Or you can get a 660 which will run four bulbs. Another option, and I haven't tried them but have heard good things about them, is to check out www.hellolights.com . They have reasonably priced VHO setups using an ARO ballast. For the Icecap systems, check out www.championlighting.com .
One other thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is water. You don't want to use tap water in this tank. Either buy an RO/DI unit or find a somewhere you can purchase RO/DI water. You could use distilled water, but I think that would get expensive. Tap water has all kinds of nasty stuff you don't want in your tank. I believe the military uses RO to process drinking water though...any engineers or seabees on your base? They might be able to hook you up with some good clean water.

Back
Top Bottom