is my 125w 'halide bright enough for my tank ???????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
is my 125w metal halide bright enough for my tank (48" long, 12" deep & 13" high, 32 gallon)

Note the tank also has 2 standard 42" tubes (about 38w each),

TIA

The light spread for MH is 2'x2'. It would seem that your MH is not covering your entire tank leaving some darker areas around the sides. Your tank is not that high so the MH will penetrate down well.

I didn't know they made a 125W MH bulbs for fish tanks. What brand is your MH bulb?

Its a Phillips, Its a wall fixture one not suspended, I aqquired it off of a relative and personaly i do not think its designed for aquariums but my relative had it fixed over a 5ft tank and he kept corals etc. perfectly well, any comments ?? :roll:

The bulb has to be specifically for aquarium use. Did your friend get an aquarium bulb or is it a standard mh bulb for commercial use?

I'm not too sure, the bulb dosent match the fitting though, so perhaps ?? i would include a pic of the fixture but my phone>PC transfer cable is dodgey !!

well these other lights have different filaments in them... specifically made for promoting fish growth, especially when you start getting into things like corals.. stuff that is really touchy to light...

As long as it is the right spectrum, it should work. On a 4ft tank, you should have 2 MH's though. A 4ft, 12" deep tank is different. Would be nice.

I found That it is an Aquarium one, asked relative, but its an older spotlight one so aquiring bulbs will most probably be difficult

Back
Top Bottom