Is my skimmer working?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aravindk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I see that the bubbles are being created. It also pushes some foam to the top of the collecting cup. However the foam is very clear and it does not extract waste as it used to be. A thin layer of brown sediment is also forming on my substrate once every two days. From the bubbles creation the skimmer seems to be working fine. But is there a blockage or something that makes skimmer not to collect waster? How do I ensure that the skimmer is working? This is four months old Won brothers skimmer.

Attachments

• img_2771_3_106.jpg
    img_2771_3_106.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 127
Still looks to me like you have no where near enough air being injected. The water should be milky white with bubbles. The DOC's stick to the bubbles which is what produces the "dirt". Very few bubbles = very little dirt.

I took it apart and cleaned it. it didnt help I guess. How long does a skimmer last? The mechanism within the skimmer is simple (IMO) with no moving parts or anything, I would expect my skimmer last longer than 4 months. Is this a sign that the skimmer broke and I should look for replacing it or is there something that I can make it work again?

The DOC's are pumped in by the powerhead right? Could there be some blockage in the powerhead that is not pushing enough DOC's? If that is the case I must replace the powerhead not the skimmer???

Thanks for trying to help me out...

I've never had a skimmer body wear out. They can get clogged with debris or snails and o-rings fail after a time. Clean the body and check your pump for sure. Pull it apart and make sure it's clean inside. You can use vinegar to dissolve the white deposits if you find any on the impeller. Rinse it good afterwards.
I had a Mag3 pump give up after almost 4 years of constant running. I replaced it with a new Mag3 and I couldn't belive the difference in the amount of crud pushed into the collection cup. My old pump had been slowly dieing and I didn't notice it.

you have an air valve or something that can be adjusted on the pump? I've a Berlin that has two items to adjust (Flow and Air Flow via tube w/screw for amount).

Usually playing with either will create more or less bubbles. You need the "FINE" bubbles to get everything.

You are getting foam, but it's not exactly what you want.

Back
Top Bottom