is there a natural solution to a skimmer???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billberet

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey, i have a 20 gal LR/LS tank with no fish yet.
just snails and crabs to clean the tank.

i have some mangroves on order to put in my 10g sump with my chaeto.
is there other natural solutions to filter the water like a skimmer.
i am getting tired of my skimmer deciding to turn my floor into a pool when it feels like it.

are there other natural/chemical ways to filter the water and eliminate the skimmer?

I have a bio cube 29 an I don't use a skimmer and my tank is doing fine. I just do 5 gallon water changes a week. I wouldn't add chemicals into the tank. Keep as natural as possible and don't add all that "stuff" to it. On a 20 gallon tank your fine without a skimmer.

Yea there is . It's called an algae turf scrubber. It is a plastic canvas screen that has water flowing down it. You light it very close from both sides and it grows algae. Every week you clean the algae off and repeat. The algae strips all the nutrients from your tank. Here is a video of mine so you can see what it looks like.

i was trying to avoid the water changes as much as possible, salt seems to be getting all used up fast. but i have no problems doing it if needed.
good to know i can do without a skimmer.

i was going to add some chemipure

i saw the post
Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS) DIY build

that thing is bigger than my whole tank, lol
for me, i am limited because my tanks are on top of each other, i have a 40 gal above my 20 gal.
and i have a 90 gal on the side of them both. gives it a nice design when your looking at them thru the wall.
so my head room is very limited.

i think my best bet will be the water changes. i have the Home Depot buckets i use, i'll have 5gal on hand at all times.

Water changes are your best friend and your fish will yank you. I wouldn't try and avoid them. IMHO it comes with fish keeping like having a car, you can't avoid putting gas in it or changing the oil etc... If you want the car to last you maintain it, if you want your tank to last and thrive then honestly there's no getting around a nice water change.

Just my 2 cents

i'm with ya 100%
i take pride in my tanks, especially since they are mostly DIY.
DIY stands, Lights, Plants, Sump, etc.

i need a bench in front of my tanks so i can sit while i watch them.
of course you can see the salt tank, lol, it stands out!!!
60421-albums10168-picture42416.jpg

here is the space i am limited to for my salt setup.
the doorway is on the left, and the 90gal is on the right, and the 40gal is above it.
60421-albums10168-picture43001.jpg

billberet said:
i'm with ya 100%

the doorway is on the left, and the 90gal is on the right, and the 40gal is above it.

Waterchanges are a must skimmer will make your life a whole lot easier down the road imo

+1, to water changes. They not only remove unwanted elements, they maintain and replenish needed ones.

I have my RODI unit, so water changes will be a snap.
i'm going thru my 60lbs bucket fast, and i don't even have fish yet, lol

i'm thinking of getting a container to store premixed tank water.
then i will always have at least a full 20 gal of water in case i ever have to do an emergency water change.
Like one of those big garbage cans that are food grade.
just pop a lid on it and i'll have lots of water to tap into.

billberet said:
i'm with ya 100%

Man that's a sweet looking wall!! I know what I'm gonna do when I get my own place!! That's just insane! Should be a magazine!

I have a 55g reef that has run for a year and a half with no skimmer. 20g sump with nothing but lots of cheto. Nitrate and phosphate is 0.

image-608570788.jpg

StiREEF said:
I have a 55g reef that has run for a year and a half with no skimmer. 20g sump with nothing but lots of cheto. Nitrate and phosphate is 0.

Is that an orange spotted sleeper goby??

Yeah he never stops sifting. But back on subject I know most will probably not agree with me but I don't believe a skimmer is ever a must. There are other more natural ways to remove exes nutrients.

StiREEF said:
Yeah he never stops sifting. But back on subject I know most will probably not agree with me but I don't believe a skimmer is ever a must. There are other more natural ways to remove exes nutrients.

Depends on bioload if small than ya you could get away without one for awhile imo youll have some nutrients and algae at some point but if heavy bioload i think its a must this is just my opinion

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

i have an emerald crab, he's always chewin up the long hair algae.
i am going to have a small bio load. i just want maybe 3 small fish tops.
and some anemones with a clown.

i'm trying to keep everything natural, and because i don't have much space for a skimmer. I have a coralife 65 in my sump but the collection cup fills up in 15 min!!! then it's flood time. I have the red dial turned fully open for max air bubbles but it's still running super wet. i have the pump for the skimmer at the bottom of my sump, maybe it's too deep and the air is not getting sucked down fast enough to create enough bubbles. i'll try some variations on pump height for the skimmer.

billberet said:
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

i have an emerald crab, he's always chewin up the long hair algae.
i am going to have a small bio load. i just want maybe 3 small fish tops.
and some anemones with a clown.

i'm trying to keep everything natural, and because i don't have much space for a skimmer. I have a coralife 65 in my sump but the collection cup fills up in 15 min!!! then it's flood time. I have the red dial turned fully open for max air bubbles but it's still running super wet. i have the pump for the skimmer at the bottom of my sump, maybe it's too deep and the air is not getting sucked down fast enough to create enough bubbles. i'll try some variations on pump height for the skimmer.

I run a coralife on my 55g what i did was drill the hole that the airtube connects to making it a lil bigger gets alot more air this way and works waayy better also sometimes i run hot ro water thru the airline while skimmer is on it helps keep buildup down but for sure drill that hole bigger

Back
Top Bottom