is there somewhere on here on info on what items is needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is there somewhere on here to find what is needed for a newbie to start a new saltwater tank.

I found nothing here that tells me a list of items to start a saltwater tank. Nice site.

If it is that basic information you are searching for, then I would strongly suggest that you go to the nearest book store and get some of the following:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/saltbook.php

You DO have to read about the subject to determine what it is all about, what you want, want you can realistically afford, etc... There is one heck of a learning curve involved with marine aquariums and marine fish keeping, and it is far from being cheap too.

Do a lot of reading and internet search before jumping in, to save yourself some time, money and grief.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

8)

Serge said:
If it is that basic information you are searching for, then I would strongly suggest that you go to the nearest book store and get some of the following:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/saltbook.php

You DO have to read about the subject to determine what it is all about, what you want, want you can realistically afford, etc... There is one heck of a learning curve involved with marine aquariums and marine fish keeping, and it is far from being cheap too.

Do a lot of reading and internet search before jumping in, to save yourself some time, money and grief.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

8)
thanks yes I will have to do some reading I don't want to mess up anything.also is there link here on the diffrent kind of saltwater fish.again thanks.

IMO, you should plan to wait 4 weeks before buying ANYTHING. Read here, plus the books commonly recommended.

jaiden said:
IMO, you should plan to wait 4 weeks before buying ANYTHING. Read here, plus the books commonly recommended.
the link above only has one book. Is there anything is were I couldd read on the diffrent types of fish.

Hi eman. The link that Serge provided has at least 12 books from what I've seen. If you can only see one, there must be a problem with the full page getting to you.

Jchillin said:
Hi eman. The link that Serge provided has at least 12 books from what I've seen. If you can only see one, there must be a problem with the full page getting to you.
is there anywhere on here I could see the diffrent types of saltwater fish. Thanks

Have you checked the photo galleries? There are some wonderful photos of most of the various SW fish...some include identification.

Were you able to see the books in the link?

eman said:
Jchillin said:
is there anywhere on here I could see the diffrent types of saltwater fish. Thanks
:?:

check out http://liveaquaria.com for fish pictures/information.

Also, check out the user's photo gallery here to see some of the fish and get some ideas also.

I recommend to just read a lot of random threads on this site. You will be amazed at what you need to know to get going and even more to keep it going.

As for your original question, part of it depends on the size of tank you are planning on, but from what I've read, for a smaller tank, the bare minimum would be along the lines of:
1 lb. of live rock per gallon
Sand for substrate
Enough powerheads to provide a flow rate of about 10x the size of tank (that is, about 300 gallons per hour for a 30 gallon tank)
Salt mix
Hydrometer to test salinity
General test kit for ammonia, etc.
Patience

In the future, you would want to consider:
Upgraded lighting to keep corals, etc.
Skimmer (some seem to consider this a necessity; others optional until corals)
RO/DI unit (again, some argue this is a necessity; others not)

Take this response with a grain of salt as I am at the reading stage myself and am planning on setting up a tank, but have not done so yet.

as far as inhabitants..
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=61643

as far as equipment needed.. what you will need will depend on what you want to keep, this will take some reaserch.. discusing all the diferent filtration options, reasons they work, advantages, and disadvantages of each would be a large undertaking even for a artical IMO. (and would likely be like writing a book thats already been written..)

Back
Top Bottom