Is this a logical way to change salt brands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lasek2k1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking of changing my salt from IO to Kent because I wanted to keep a few corals in the near future. Basically here is my reasoning. I have a 15 gallon set up with a CSS 65. I get about .5-.75 gallon or less evaporation per day depending on the temperature and whether or not I have the AC running. Since the CSS reduces the salinity a little bit, I was wondering if I could use mixed Kent salt as top-off water to not only replace the evaporation and salinity but to slowly introduce the new salt.

As of now I only have fish, no inverts or coral. So I thought now would be the best time (I lost a few livestock to a careless tank-sitter recently). Also since I have a FOWLR set-up, I was also thinking of doing 1 gallon water changes every 10 days since I don't really have anything that is nutrient dependant.

If you have any other advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dont let the issue of keeping corals make you move. Many of us including myself keep our reef tanks with IO.

By adding salt to your replacment water you need to be very careful not to over adjust and increase your salinity. I would suspect by doing it this method your going to take a very very very long time to acutally replace the salt in the tank from IO to Kent. Now would be the time to switch if you want and honestly you can just do a series of water changes and use Kent salt in the new mixed up water vs IO. The fish will be less sensitive to the subtle differences between the salt mixes.

Back
Top Bottom