Is this possible FOWOLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theman2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is the reason I wanted to convert my tank..... Beautiful tank beautiful tropical fish. This is at a fish store but and I know these tanks aren't permanent homes and maybe set up exactly for that. But as you can see there is no live rock! I really would like a set up like this... Tons of sand and pretty fake decor. LR is expensive and I personally don't like the crowded look especially when typically its 1-11/2 lbs per gal. Please help ...

Attachments

• image-4177230847.jpg
    image-4177230847.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2427584151.jpg
    image-2427584151.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 83
You don't have to follow that rule its more geared towards reefs for the extra bio filtration. You can setup a fowlr just like a normal FW tank.

You can set up the tank however you want.The sand would be your bio filter but the fish would be happier and healthier if there was rock in the tank also it gives the fish places to hide and to sleep. It also replicates there natural habitat.

Yeah, you can do that, live rock isn't an absolute necessity, but fish do like places to hide and sleep. The BB will grow on the sand, and whatever decorations you put in there, an in your filter media. Just make sure you have enough (and large enough) things that the fish can hide at times. When fish get stressed, they hide for a while. They also hide away to sleep, cuz in the wild, if you're sleeping out in the open, then you're gonna get eaten. If they can't hide, they'll get stressed, and stressed fish will get sick and maybe die. But there are fish-only tanks with no live rock. There are no absolute rules to aquariums; decorate it how you like. There are some beautiful natural saltwater plants that you could put In There, too that don't cost that much. Check out live-plants.com. Their shipping rates aren't bad, either.

Back
Top Bottom