Is this product any good?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I will bare that in mind, and yes it's a 3piece ship, I have better pictures of it in the members tanks section under the thread 'we are doing something different!'

Sunday is going to be D-Day on us getting our LR and RO water!! Yay

You have your in and out coming up through the bottom of the tank? Wow. Cool. The heater is obviously in a high flow area then.

Yea it's going to make maintaining the filter so much easier and just looks a lot more tidy coming up through the bottom, got the cabinet and tank for a amazing price as it was ex-display and is a range of the fluval being discontinued!

Is that plumbed thru the bottom headed for a sump? drain and return? Or is that the canister piping?

It is for the canister down below! One day I would like to have a sump but we are beginners and keeping it simple, just got our powerheads today!

Attachments

• image-890521585.jpg
    image-890521585.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 110
I assume you used a bulkhead and barb fittings to attach?

That's going to be a lot of pressure on that can, be interesting to see how it works out. I hope you can cut the water flow for maintenance.. If you ever forget, or it malfunctions ... splash because it's no longer a low pressure siphon feed.. that's going to be all that water pressure above it pushing down.. and it will empty that tank in no time

It has a shut off valve for when I need to maintain the filter.

Attachments

• image-412610301.jpg
    image-412610301.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 135
And it can control the amount of flow so it's not full pressure!! Thank you with filling me with fear though haha!

Looks like a 404 to me. Yours must be different though, I'm sure.. Good luck

Just for kicks I'll tell you that it is under pressure. The pressure of all that water volume above those pipes. It may work but it wasn't designed for it.

Anyway, enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
So your telling me that fluval design the filtration like that for it NOT to work?!? Are you saying that the tank was designed not to have any water in it?!?

We bought this as an ex-display and I can assure you their showroom didn't have water all over the floor!!!

I'm saying that the canister filter was designed to use a siphon as a water delivery method. Over the lip of the tank, the water flows to the can and is pushed back up to the lip and over. Not pushed into the can. IMO there will be alot of pressure on that impeller but that's just me. :)

If your tank came drilled, it was drilled in anticipation of a sump not a canister filter hooked up to it.

We're not talking about the end of life as we know it. It's advice. Take or leave it. It's your tank. It may work out fine, if it does that's great.

The comments/advice are to help those who may read this and think it's a standard way to use their can. Work or not, it's not.

Not to be repetitive but...... enjoy

The tank comes with the canister filter to plumb straight into it!!

I can appreciate what you are trying to say friend as advice and believe me I will take your advice and regularly check the fittings for possible discrepancies!

I would definitely agree that you're probably going to have issues running the canister that way. Regardless of how it was sold to you, canisters (at least fluvals, eheims, and renas) are not designed to be used that way. I have a feeling something will go wrong if you use it that way very long. Whether it's a hose coming off from the pressure of all that water pushing down, a leak in the seal, the impeller breaking, or whatever...

The impeller isn't seeing any more or less resistance. However the seal between the top and bottom are. I know the fluval has a ball valve, but it isn't perfect. And those hoses do pop off. I didn't really think about it before, but that is a ticking time bomb. If you get ANY sort of leak, the entire tank will drain. To the bottom. No way to stop it. Fish, sand everything.

Yup, there you go,push the tubes up higher. As longas it doesn't leak at the bulkhead.

Back
Top Bottom