Is this safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got back from the beach yesterday and found a cool seashell that would look good in my tank, it was in the ocean, is this safe to put in my tank?

Thanks,
Tyler

Just place the seashell in some de-chlor water for a few days then test the water to see if any chems changed....you should be ok but always wanna be safe

thanks, i figured it coodnt be to bad if it came from the ocean lol

Tyler

Np, and and that's usually the first thought when we find something in the ocean, but sadly bringing a seashell or rock from the ocean can carry bacteria and/or other bad hitchikers with it that can wreck a home sw aquarium, just soak it by itself and make sure there's nothing coming in with it:)

Np, and and that's usually the first thought when we find something in the ocean, but sadly bringing a seashell or rock from the ocean can carry bacteria and/or other bad hitchikers with it that can wreck a home sw aquarium, just soak it by itself and make sure there's nothing coming in with it:)

one more question, do i soak it in premixed saltwater, or freshwater?

If its a seashell, I'd do freshwater, as that should kill any bacteria or anything, try running hot water for a few minutes

once i have everything running and to my liking i will definity post pictures lol

Back
Top Bottom