Is this skimmer any good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just from my experiance, if you have anything int the 50G and bigger range go with a well known skimmer such as ASM Euro Reef and my personal favorit the turboflotor.
I have to admit that I don't know anything about that skimmer. So it might work since they clame it will work on a 80G tank and yours is about half of it.

Yeah, I dont want a peice of poopy skimmer. Plus it would be my filter also. But I am going to buy a wet/dry system with a sump and put it all in there. I think the pump is rated at only 200gph also. Is that bad?

the gph is dependent on the design..
I would agree that a good branded (or well praised model) would be a much better alternitive.. a wet dry can be a good thing but setainly will not do the same job as a good skimmer (of course you knew that already).

there are alot of good brands out there right now..
euro-reef, ASM, turboflotor are all good brands..
as far as bang for your buck.. look into Coralife's needle wheel super skimmers..
there are some great threads on RC with exellent results with this skimmer..
I recently posted a link to CSS in the deals thread if you would like to check them out.. :p
from what Ive read the model number is about double high capasity so I would stick with that.. the 125 model would be killer for your 50gal.. :p
HTH

Well, I agree, but my main question was if this was OK? I mean, if I have to, then I will ask him to take it back with me.

I have a 55 and put a SeaClone 150 in it (supposed to be good for 150 gallon tank, I think) It was crap. I switched to an Aqua C Remora and love it.

Get a really good one if you're going to take the plunge, I bought the SeaClone because it was $100. Remora was twice as much, but saves me a thousand times the headaches.

turboflotor in sum model with pump $180. The Superskimmer might be in the same range but can be used as HOB.

the superskimmer is a little less expensive and is HOB or in sump.. :p
bigalsonline had the best price on it the last time I looked.. :p

by the way.. if your going to use the skimmer as a serious filter (lean on its filtration capasity) use one thats rated for at least a tank twice its size.. in your case that would be the CSS 125 model.. again.. saves headaches..

I will be using a magnum 350 (or something simila) also. But I am going to my LFS tomorow to get a skimmer. I will look for that coralife

binaryterror said:
I guess you have a point. Which one would you suggest for around 150 bucks?

Sorry, I'm not that experienced with skimmers. I paid $226 for my Remora Pro and would recommend it, but I'm sure others here can suggest in that range.

sdellin said:
binaryterror said:

Sorry, I'm not that experienced with skimmers. I paid $226 for my Remora Pro and would recommend it, but I'm sure others here can suggest in that range.

that is a tight range..

and LFS stores sell the corilife for about a 30% markup from online prices from what Ive seen..

greenmaji said:
sdellin said:
binaryterror said:

that is a tight range..

and LFS stores sell the corilife for about a 30% markup from online prices from what Ive seen..

SeaClone 150 at drsfostersmith.com was under $100, at lfs it was $130.

Back
Top Bottom