Is this stuff OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some green stuff showing up on my live rock. I'm not usre if it's algae or coraline. How can I tell the difference?

Need a little more info. How old is your tank? Do you use tap water or RO? Coraline is usually purple in color so you may have a case of nuisance algea. Did it come on all of the sudden? what does it look like?

It is a 75 FOWLR Some of the rock has alot of purple. But since the snails have been cleaning the brown algae, I'm starting to see some green. There are some small spots with dark green, but mostly a light coating of green. the tank is about 2mth old and I only keep the light on for about 3hrs. I'll try to take a picture and post it.

thanks

You need to increase your lighting time. My lights are set on a timer for 12 hr/day. What type of bulbs are in the fixture

Good catch Darb, I missed that blurb about lighting for only 3 hours. You need to up that to 12-14 hours for the general health of any photosynthetic organism, or even if you just want nice coralline.

I guess I would be right by saying it has 2 10k bulbs and 2 blue bulbs.

2 10 k and 2 actinics is good. Just increase the lighting to 12 hrs a day. It dosen't have to be any specific 12 hrs. Mine are set from 9 am to 9 pm,(when ia am home) with the actinics on 1 hr before and 1 hr after.

To simulate the lighting conditions of early dawn or late dusk as I understand it. HTH

Back
Top Bottom