is this true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keu131

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello,

i started my aquarium a couple of months ago and have just been taking it very slow at my own pace. i have had my live rock in for over a month now and teh levels have been spot on. i am told (by my local fsh store man) that i am fine to now get some starter fish..

one thing that has upset me during this process is that i keep seeing statements about the same kind or similar tanks to what i have not being siutable for salt water aquariums.... keeping in mind that i am just a beginner and am not looking to do anything complicated just a basic salt water set up.... is what these people say true? has my tank been a complete waste of time and money??

hopefully i have successfully attached pictures of my tank for u to check out..
if not its a jebo 390

thanks heaps for your help!

P5200131.jpg

P5200132.jpg

P5200130.jpg

There is no reason you can't successfully keep fish in that system. I can't comment on corals because I don't know what type of lighting that tank comes with.

There are however, a few issues you may want to look into. The most obvious I see is an undergravel filter and crushed coral. While that setup can and will work, it does have the potential to cause alot of problems. You may want to think about pulling out the undergravel filter and crushed coral and replace it with dry aragonite sand and a hang on tank filter.
The other thing is what looks like an airline attached to the powerhead. That is unnecessary in a saltwater setup and only leads to salt creep getting all over everything. Just pull the airline off the powerhead.

I agree totally agree with Larry. It can be done but there are some things that can cause issues and Larry mentioned it. Just depends if you want to deal with the issues.

I'm hearing about setup and time it's been setup. Have you read about and know anything about cycling a SW tank? At some point you would've had to have an ammonia source, tested for it, seen it, and then seen nitrites. Pls don't add fish until you are sure the tank is cycled. Time alone doesn't make a tank ready.

thanks so much for the help guys!
it is soooo great to have such friendly ppl happy to lend a had!

Back
Top Bottom