It detached itself...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Changy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi to all.

I've ventured into my first saltwater tank, a 46l bow front. It's stocked with clown fish, a shrimp and a blue damsel. Tank is cycled and water parameters are stable.

Being new to sw, I don't know if it is normal for a mushroom coral to detach itself. It was located on a high-ish rock, next to a couple of others. Woke up yesterday morning to find it at the bottom of the tank. The night before it was curled up like I noticed it and its mates do sometimes.

Will post a photo, when I figure out why it's not letting me attach a jpeg....?!?

Changy

The coral in question is the middle one. (Oh, by the way, I'm in the Philippines on assignment so I actually don't know the correct names - I figured out there to be three "mushrooms" and one "other"... please correct me if I'm wrong and help please on the name of the "other"). The one on the left has grown since the photo was taken... did it push the other out of the way?

ForumRunner_20130803_180513.jpg

Thanks Searchin.

It seems ok where it landed, but its kind of boxed in and I will have to move it soon.

Should I put it back where it came from, as the other two are doing quite well? Do I need to spread them out a little?

PS. Has someone written a PhD on coral sociology?

Changy

Thanks Searchin.

It seems ok where it landed, but its kind of boxed in and I will have to move it soon.

Should I put it back where it came from, as the other two are doing quite well? Do I need to spread them out a little?

PS. Has someone written a PhD on coral sociology?

Changy

I try to leave mine alone as much as possible. If they settle in a spot, they will eventually attach. Then I will try to adjust whatever they attach to.

I think you are fine with them being next to each other as long as they aren't impeding the growth of each other.

I get all my info on coral habits from AA. I just read and read forums of what people have seen.

A week or so later, here it is in the middle after I put it back in its original spot. Since this picture, it shriveled up a bit more. It's mouth didn't open up though. Compared to the others, it looks pretty unhappy. I've moved it to another spot lower down in the tank for a bit or "R&R".

Does the health of the others indicate that the location is/was ok?

Changy

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130811_111803.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130811_111803.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom