I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING!!!!!! What can I do??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought my second fish, a percula clown. He has been in the QT for a week now. The day after I bought him I tried feeding him and he ate maybe one bloodworm. Since that day will not eat anything. I have tried giving him VHP (which is what I feed my regal tang), prime reef, bloodworms, flakes, and tonight I tried mysis shrimp soaked in garlic. He doesn't seem interested in anything and I am afraid that he is going to starve!! Other than not eating he seems fine. I don't know what else I can do... I welcome any suggestions.

TIA!

grab a hold of him and shove it down his throat

just kidding , I leave this to someone far more knowledgeable then me

hey BlueDolphin, I have 2 percs...always ate like pigs!

thoughts:

1) I commonly read to start with live brine to get a fish eating...may want to try that - was he eating at the lfs?

2) are the qt water parameters in check? could be environmental...

BlueDolphin said:
I recently bought my second fish, a percula clown. He has been in the QT for a week now. The day after I bought him I tried feeding him and he ate maybe one bloodworm. Since that day will not eat anything. I have tried giving him VHP (which is what I feed my regal tang), prime reef, bloodworms, flakes, and tonight I tried mysis shrimp soaked in garlic. He doesn't seem interested in anything and I am afraid that he is going to starve!! Other than not eating he seems fine. I don't know what else I can do... I welcome any suggestions.

TIA!

What was he being fed at the lfs? If you haven't already, try the exact same food.

Stupidly, I did not ask to see him eat at the LFS. :roll: I performed a 30% water change in the QT this morning and then checked the parameters. They are as follows:

Ammonia: 0.2
pH: 8.1
SG: 1.026
Nitrates: <10
Nitrites: 0
Temp: 80.1

The clown seems to be swimming around just fine and his color looks ok. I tried again with the frozen mysis shrimp soaked in garlic. He wouldn't even look at it! The lfs were I bought him is closed today, but I guess I could go in tomorrow to see what they are feeding the other clowns. I don't recall seeing any live brine shrimp for sale there. I don't know what else to do.... :cry:

I wouldn't worry too much, my 2 tankraised perc's didn't eat for 10 days. I was worried and tried everything then all of a sudden they went crazy and ate everything in sight :lol:

jamal-188,

Thanks for your reassuring post. It's been 8 days since my clown has been in the QT. Like I said, on the second day he ate a couple of bloodworms - but he hasn't touched anything since then. So, basically it has been a week without him eating. :|

Try some flakes again. I have a tomato, and a perc. The perc, was funny about eating. The tomato will only eat flake now. Sometimes they will switch what they want to eat altogether. Try the flake once more. :wink:

I put in flake once more and he seemed to liven up for a minute. He stared at the top of the water as the flakes floated by, but he just won't give them a chance! :bawl:

BlueDolphin said:
Stupidly, I did not ask to see him eat at the LFS. :roll:

Well, you might still give them a call and just ask what they do feed their clowns. Odds are you have probably already tried whatever they were feeding, but you never know. I have one perc and he eats any kind of flake. I am using the Formula II, and Omega One Veggie flake.

Also, what kind of water circulation do you have in your tank. If it's alot, you might try turning off the PH's when you feed.

I'm sure it'll start eatig soon.

I don't have any ph's in the QT. I just have a penguin mini bio-wheel filter, airstone, heater, seeded sponge, and pvc fittings.

BlueDolphin said:
Stupidly, I did not ask to see him eat at the LFS. :roll: I performed a 30% water change in the QT this morning and then checked the parameters. They are as follows:

Ammonia: 0.2
pH: 8.1
SG: 1.026
Nitrates: <10
Nitrites: 0
Temp: 80.1

The clown seems to be swimming around just fine and his color looks ok. I tried again with the frozen mysis shrimp soaked in garlic. He wouldn't even look at it! The lfs were I bought him is closed today, but I guess I could go in tomorrow to see what they are feeding the other clowns. I don't recall seeing any live brine shrimp for sale there. I don't know what else to do.... :cry:

No saltwater livestock will do well with "Ammonia: 0.2". The fish needs a 100% water change and a mature biological filter like live rock. If no improvement in 24 - 48 hours than it's time for medication.

I noticed that when I get new fish that won't eat right away I normally turn off the PH's when I feed. The food just kinda hangs around and they eat. But with the fish that I get that won't eat, well it seems that they fair a little better when the food is flting around like it is "live" and they have to catch it. Like in thier natural habitat. Are these "tank bread" or net caught clowns? Maybe if they are "non tank raised" they are not used to being fead like that way. Try a PH in the QT when you feed so the Mysis will fly around the tank and see if that will help. Maybe he just needs to chase down his food. This has worked for me in the past.

Mike

No saltwater livestock will do well with "Ammonia: 0.2".

Most people think all ammonia is toxic, but it's toxicity is based on pH. I don't have the charts on me, but off hand I don't think ammonia is toxic until at least 0.5 with a pH of 8.1 for saltwater.

but if there's a proper bio filter, the ammonia should be 0ppm
Remember this is a QT tank, not a display. I think the clown may just need some more time to adjust, keep trying, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom